Menu
Hossboro
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Email Hack, Lost emails

I have recently been made aware that my email has been compromised, I changed my password immediately, but somehow they have been able to do this again, they managed to change my Amazon account password and I have also lost all my emails since Nov 2020.

who or how do I contact anyone at virgin regards this matter, no luck on the phone at all.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Hack, Lost emails

@Hossboro wrote:

I have recently been made aware that my email has been compromised, I changed my password immediately, but somehow they have been able to do this again, they managed to change my Amazon account password and I have also lost all my emails since Nov 2020

Unfortunately, as you have found merely changing your password is not enough to secure the account. You need to follow all the advice here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked 

Make sure you go through every step because if you don't it is child's play for the hacker to get back in.

Coenoby

Edited to add regarding your missing emails. If you do not have copies elsewhere, perhaps on the email app on your phone then those emails are gone for good. Virgin Media do not keep backups.

However, I would check whether the hacker has merely moved them to another folder.

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Hossboro
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info, I've made all those steps and so far seems ok, but no idea why those email went, managed to see them on an offline device, there was nothing of any importance thankfully.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Hossboro wrote:

Thanks for the info, I've made all those steps ..........

Great, thanks for coming back with that update.

To be honest, if you are concerned about security and your VM email getting hacked you would do well to consider looking at using a more secure, non isp email service.

Microsoft's  Outlook.com and Google's Gmail spring to mind but there are lots of others. Both those offer 2 factor authentication on their email accounts for added security.

At the very least you should use  a more secure email service in conjunction with your online accounts such as Amazon even if you continue to use your VM email account for personal messages.

By the way, your comment "no idea why those email went", well, the hacker my have deleted them all en masse to hide the emails from Amazon etc that related to fraudulent transactions they made using your email address. However, glad you still have copies of them offline. Well done for having a backup policy. 👍

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Hossboro
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No worries Coenoby, already looking at a backup account on Gmail, their 2 step verification is so much better than virgins non existence extra security 😊

Thank you for being so helpful.