Menu
Dougall80
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

E mail 22.6.21

Is the email from Virgin Media 22.6.21 in respect of amending your Hub Password to a more secure one genuine or a scam?

Kind regards

Dougall80

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: E mail 22.6.21

I have received one as well, being the user of Super Hub 2ac. No doubt prompted by a recent ‘Which’ article alleging that the security on the older VM super hubs was inadequate.

The email relates to the default wi-fi passwords being relatively weak by today's standards. Interestingly it doesn't mention changing the default router password which is the same across all devices. This would be worth changing too IMO.

0 Kudos
Dougall80
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: E mail 22.6.21

Thankyou
0 Kudos
Dougall80
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: E mail 22.6.21 appears to be fromVirgin Media asking me Change Hub Password.

I have today had a text conversation with Virgin Media on 'virginmedia.com/contact' and they have confirmed that this email from 'email@em.virginmedia.com' is in fact a scam and to forward it to their phishinh email.

Dougall80

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: E mail 22.6.21 appears to be fromVirgin Media asking me Change Hub Password.

Hi @Dougall80,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

That would be a phishing email, correct. We have some more info on these types of scams here

Thanks for remaining vigilant. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Dougall80

I think you may be getting somewhat mangled information from the distant branches of the VM support machine. I have received emails from 'email@em.virginmedia.com' since about March 2020 (when the VM informational/advisory mailing address changed), containing news updates and other advisory information. The messages have been sent to my VM primary email which gets no other traffic apart from comm's about my VM account. Double check that the email you have received really is from that address to be sure.

@Ayisha_B

Perhaps you could double-check the validity of 'email@em.virginmedia.com' as the mailing address for VM informational/advisory updates and whether a general email was actually sent out to customers with SH2ac and earlier advising to update wi-fi passwords. I received my email on Tuesday 22/6/21.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for sharing @goslow

Let me follow up on this and will post back with an update. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Dougall80, I have just had this checked and it would appear @goslow is correct 🙂 

This is a valid email address used to share new updates and advisory info. 

I do apologise for any confusion caused. 

Thanks for checking in with us anyway.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team