Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

E-bay Test Version - Web Safe Issue

Since yesterday going to Ebay front page is okay but then wen I search for anything I get a text based version of the page.

If I turn off Web Safe it works fine.  I have tested this on my PC and phone and when using mobile data it is fine but when using Virgin Wi-Fi with Web Safe on it has this issue.

Please investigate.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: E-bay Test Version - Web Safe Issue

Adding "ebaystatic.com" to the list of allowed websites via Web Safe fixed the problem.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That domain does not exist. Did you main ir.ebaystatic.com?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Chrome Browser CSS stylesheet download from ir.ebaystatic.com is the problem - adding ir.ebaystatic.com to the list of permitted domains and leaving child protection filter ON works a treat. 

VM need to let people know - being able to compare against results from a BT Business Broadband account at the same address really helped. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Issue flagged to the forum team who are best placed to look at issue going forward; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi All, 

Sorry to those who are unable access Ebay at the moment. 

Please can you load up www.ebay.co.uk and at the bottom of the page you should see the option to opt out of Ebay collecting personal details, once you have selected this it should load the page up.

Please let me know if this doesn't resolve the problem. 

Regards,

Dean C 
Community Moderator

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This bit here? (My last one had the image quarantined, weirdly).

Copyright © 1995-2020 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. User AgreementPrivacyCookies, Do not sell my personal information and AdChoice

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@pgn wrote:

This bit here? (My last one had the image quarantined, weirdly).

Copyright © 1995-2020 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. User AgreementPrivacyCookies, Do not sell my personal information and AdChoice

Images are quarantined until accepted by a Moderator or VIP community member as ok to publish.

As to the original issue raised, it seems that web safe was working as designed to protect users from accessing websites that could compromise their security.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slap on the wrist for ebay making the default be "I agree" rather than the opposite.

Unsurprising, they have a bit of history on that front....

Thanks for the explanation about the image quarantine. And yes, Web Safe was "protecting" the user, but it was not putting up the box or warning to say *what* was happening, making people do all sorts of unnecessary preventive/remidation actions - clearing cookies, taking Child Safety (Web Safe) off-line, etc.

Shameful, ebay.co.uk!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This does beg the question, why other websites (like Facebook, Google, etc) are not experiencing similar issues; keep in mind this is Child Safe blocking access not Virus Safe.

0 Kudos