Menu
TheBhoy
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Device infected with malware

Hi all,

just recieved this email from VMedia

We’ve been alerted that one or more of the devices you use to go on the internet is infected with malicious software (malware).We don’t know which device, but it does mean your personal data and online financial transactions, including any credit card purchases, could be at risk.

This probably isn’t your fault, but we do need you to make some changes now to ensure your data remains safe and secure.We’ll help you do that.

How we found the problem

To protect our customers, we work with a number of not-for-profit organisations that gather information about internet connections that appear to be at risk of things like malware infections. On 09 October 2020, one detected that gumblar , a piece of malware, was present on a device using your internet connection.

Have scanned all connected devices and all came back clean, any help or explanations on how to deal with this issue would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Device infected with malware

issue has been flagged to the forum team as they are best placed to help with this going forward; be aware it can take them a few hours / days respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi TheBhoy, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your internet security, I am glad you've already scanned your devices with a virus scanner. I would also ask you to change your passwords on your online account, Connect App, Email, or anything else that has been accessed recently. If you need any further help with changing your password please let us know. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
TheBhoy
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

Thanks for replying and advice re changing passwords.

As I could find no malware on my devices could you please give me some details that caused this issue to be highlighted on my account.  This has left me concerned about my online security which I take very seriously and have never had any issues before.

Any further information or explanation would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

The Bhoy

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for coming back to us.

The email received, did you get any reference numbers in it?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

As a side note a lot of the anti virus software around will not necessary find malicious software one of the tools I use is malawarebytes I have found it very good for what it is, there is a free version that will allow scanning and removal just will not run in background to stop it. Will run on Android / iOS / MAC and PC.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TheBhoy
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Yes the email contained the following ref number  VMIS5-MALWARE-F008486691

Hope this helps and if you need anything else to help me better understand what is happening please don`t hesitate to ask.

Kind regards

TheBhoy

0 Kudos
TheBhoy
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi DJ

Thanks for taking an interest and responding to my issue.

I use Norton anti virus software not everyone's favourite but has always worked well for me.  I also have a premium version of Malawarebytes which I've been running in conjunction with Norton for a few years now. This runs in the background and as you say it is very good at detecting any problems.

Thanks for the link and the advice, maybe I will have to install Malwarebytes on my Android devices although I believe Gumblar my apparent issue attacks Windows OS.

Thanks again

Kind regards

TheBhoy

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming, did the email from the team include steps to fix the issue at all as these should be included in the emails. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
TheBhoy
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily 

No the email just said to change passwords nothing about how to rectify this issue.

Can you confirm this is still an on going problem as neither Norton or Malwarebytes have indicated any infection, both up to date and always monitoring our pcs, and could you tell me more about the Gumblar Virus.

Help much appreciated,

The Bhoy

0 Kudos