Menu
VanessaC
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Deleting email address

Don't know if anyone can help. My email address was clearly compromised during the data hack a few years ago and is being used for all sorts of things. I have had to close accounts, change email address and now I have just got a load of undeliverable messages from what looks like a phishing/spoofing attempt.

Is there anyway of getting this email account closed or deleted. I keep changing password but they haven't hacked my account they were literally gifted it by Virgin. The problem is it is the primary email address for the account.

I am at my wits end, i feel sick everytime i get another notification to say they have used my email address for something else.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deleting email address

No you can't delete it. A primary address is tied into the single sign on system that VM uses and it exists for as long as the relevant VM account exists.

A change of password should cure the abuse, but to be on the safe side you should also go into My Virginmedia and change your security question and the answer as the second step to securing the account. But it is the very nature of things that email addresses are not private and can be readily guessed or lifted from all manner of places where you may have used it legitimately. The VM data breach, while serious was not on the scale of some of the massive breaches we have seen.

You can always stop using the address for email. Create a secondary address if you want. The primary address and its password will ALWAYS be required for accessing My Virginmedia so you can control your account and see bills etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
VanessaC
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That's pretty much what I expected. I don't really see why a new address couldn't be linked to the account but they obviously don't want to help. I understand that email addresses are public but if it was any other type of email account I could just close or delete it. Every so often I get a passive aggressive letter from Virgin warning me that my email is being misused but there is nothing I can do about it and they know that. It's just upsetting knowing that my account name is being used to try and scam people.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi VanessaC, I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the email and we will send a private message so that this can be looked into further for you. Chris

0 Kudos