Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Debt letter in my name, but it wasn’t me.

I have been receiving letters from a debt company, in my name and now my address for unpaid Virgin.  The address used is one I’ve never lived at.  So it seems now the debt company have linked my name with my actual address and want the money for something I have no knowledge of. 

Please can someone help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Debt letter in my name, but it wasn’t me.

Good Afternoon ScarlettTiger,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forum and a very warm welcome to you

Sorry to hear of this confusion that's been caused, let's take a look into this together.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a PM from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Removed message 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You are the victim of identity theft.  Write to the debt collection agency explaining that you know nothing of the debt they refer to, refer them back to the company that has contracted their service, and tell them that if they contact you again you will escalate as far as the Financial Conduct Authority if they persist.  The advice below is extra things you now need to do, cut and pasted from Citizens Advice: 

If someone used your name to open new accounts, get credit or buy services

This is called 'identity theft'. If you start getting bank letters, bills or letters from debt collectors that you know nothing about, this might have happened to you.

You should contact your bank straight away and let them know. Keep a record of all conversations you have with the bank and copies of letters to do with the fraud. The bank will investigate, take action to protect your accounts and refer the crime to the police.

If you think someone has applied for credit in your name, for example because you've had letters about loans or credit cards you didn't apply for, you should also contact the main credit reference agencies. Explain you've been a victim of identity theft and ask them what credit accounts or services are on your file. Tell them which ones you didn't apply for and ask for the information to be removed.

The credit reference agency will contact those companies listed on your file to sort out the accounts that were wrongly opened in your name.

You should contact all 3 agencies as each one might only have part of your file. You can contact the following:

If you think someone has got your details by stealing your post, or by getting mail redirected, contact the Royal Mail Customer Enquiry Number on 03457 740 740.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos