Menu
Honeydasher
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Data breach actions to take

Hi I was one of the people whos data was leaked. I was targeted in October / November 2020 with all 3 of my items my account details my email and mobile number. At that time a I got was a text and email saying call back and press 2 etc. I called my bank and changed details and blocked. Yesterday it was worse I have 2 factor verification on my PayPal and they made 2 unauthorised transactions on it. I wasn't emailed about these i was online trying to buy and didn't have access to PayPal. I blocked PayPal from taking my money. Raised dispute for them amd now waiting stressfully about whats going on. I want to know what to do to stop further attempts and who to scream at as virgin media failed to protect me. 

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data breach actions to take

Good morning @Honeydasher 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues regarding your PayPal and the data breach. 

Whilst there were some information found, there was no financial information accessed during the data breach.  

We have some really useful FAQ's that you can find here 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Honeydasher
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

I'm aware of what information was leaked as I received a letter in regards to this. 

I'm frustrated that how they have managed to get unauthorized transactions on my PayPal account and the last 4 digits on the bank account and use this information and my email and block any notifications coming to me.

I have used PayPal before 2 step was even a thing and never had a problem and now this has happened. The data breach has been the only thing that's happened. I have always used 1 password for 1 account and where available 2 step.

But as always with multiple agencies involved they all pass the ball never taking responsibility. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have you been able to recover your email account and check that no email redirections have been left in place?

See below for VM advice page

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-has-been-hacked

0 Kudos
Honeydasher
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have gained access back to my account and reset double checked all details.

After calling and sending messages to paypal and my bank I finally got my money back but was during the time they were looking at it having to borrow money from family. Not happy with all that happened. 

The biggest issue is that no one from PayPal have been able to help me understand or find out how this happened. 

I have been speaking to someone who deals with call centres abroad and he said that our data is sold to the cheapest company and they don't secure the data and if anyone wanted to they can take the data a set up a new company to target the UK for sales or scams. He said that this is how the scammers can gain access and each and every website that has cookies mines our data and pulls the browsers history to send back. If i could travel I would take up the issue and go and get the data and then show everyone that even a person who doesn't deal with this can have your data.

So until companies do something what can the average person do. 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Honeydasher wrote:

The biggest issue is that no one from PayPal have been able to help me understand or find out how this happened.

Consider making a subject access request under the GDPR for all information related to the incident with PayPal

I have been speaking to someone who deals with call centres abroad and he said that our data is sold to the cheapest company and they don't secure the data and if anyone wanted to they can take the data a set up a new company to target the UK for sales or scams. He said that this is how the scammers can gain access and each and every website that has cookies mines our data and pulls the browsers history to send back. If i could travel I would take up the issue and go and get the data and then show everyone that even a person who doesn't deal with this can have your data.

Companies sending data abroad for processing need to ensure it is done so to the same data privacy standards as here. If you or that “someone” has concerns or knows that not to be the case then raise them with the ICO.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos