Menu
Syndrew
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cookie Updater broken?

I can't update my cookie settings through the website, just a javascript:void(0);, i'm getting 50 requests from 20 3rd parties on the VM website and there is no way to give consent to it or reject it.

Is it the lack of enforcement from the ICO which allows businesses to ignore the GDPR? Watching companies claim how much their customers mean to them and at the same time letting personal data leak out to the big US data corps. 

What is the point in regulations which are not being adhered to?

0 Kudos
Johninboro
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cookie Updater broken?

I had an issue where my cookies were being removed every night.

I got so sick of it I decided to set up a webcam to try and figure out what was going on and hopefully stop my cookies from vanishing.

When I watched back the recording I was gob smacked at what I saw and immediately contacted the authorities.

Turns out a little blue monster was crawling through my cat flap and helping himself to my cookies.

The monster had ran away from his street in search of cookies.  His little red friend turned up and helped to take him back home where he is getting the help he needs.

So if you too are having problems with your cookies, then check your cat flap is locked, it could save you a lot of time and frustration. 

Feel free to click on the thumbs up thingy and kudos thing. It really helps me to feel important and boosts my ego.
Seriously though, I'm happy to help.
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Syndrew wrote:

I can't update my cookie settings through the website, just a javascript:void(0);, i'm getting 50 requests from 20 3rd parties on the VM website and there is no way to give consent to it or reject it.

Is it the lack of enforcement from the ICO which allows businesses to ignore the GDPR? Watching companies claim how much their customers mean to them and at the same time letting personal data leak out to the big US data corps. 

What is the point in regulations which are not being adhered to?

What URL are you on when this behaviour is observed?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Syndrew
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Near the top of this page, it says click here to learn more. Then i try the update settings button. Does it work for you?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

2021-02-23.jpeg

I agree that is not GDPR compliant; I did not select OK, so have not consented, but cookies are still stored and not just the essential. Issue has been flagged to the forum team however be aware it can take them a few hours / day to respond.

If you have raised this issue with Virgin Media before and no action was taken then the ICO is the next step.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Syndrew

Thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear of this and am currently investigating this for you. I will come back to you as soon as I have a resolution.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"