Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Contract set up by unauthorised user

I changed my package on 14th June and addressed a couple of security issues at the same time (a very helpful and knowledgeable guy). On 18th June I received an email informing me I had signed up for a 12 month contract. After nearly 4 hours On the phone to Virgin Media it seemed to be resolved and was assured I would receive a phone call the following day from a supervisor or higher with details of the telephone recording and how, why and who had managed to do this. No phone call came and after another 3 hrs waiting on the phone I still haven’t been able to speak to someone. An email complaint, web chat and text messages and still nothing. I have been waiting to report this to the police since Thursday but wanted to give Virgin Media the chance to look into it first but it seems I am wasting my time. 
If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful otherwise it would look like I have no options left other than let the police deal with it. This may seem extreme but this is the 3rd security issue this year and it needs sorting out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract set up by unauthorised user

VM normally regard any contract change as being a new 12 month contract, so this is normal for them, and not something done by an unauthorised individual.  However, if they didn't mention this during the call, then they can't enforce it, and because you've promptly disputed it the email notification does not bind you.  If a customer pays a new contract for a few months without question, then it is established in UK law that the contract is deemed to have been accepted. 

You have done the right thing by complaining, but you need to consider what outcome you want.  You also need to accept that VM are struggling to deal with customers due to Covid restrictions.  So what do you want?   Is it the promised contract without the lock in?  Or do you not mind the lock in, but disapprove of not being told?  Or you want the whole new contract declared void and to start the discussion again?

The police can't help, because this is a civil contractual matter, not criminal.  Moreover, as the "deeming" of new contracts is normal (if unethical) practice in telecoms it's hardly anything new.  If you want to escalate then your route is to the industry arbitration service CISAS, but VM have to have had your complaint for eight weeks before you can escalate to them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply it will be very useful. I would like to know how the person who isn’t the account holder, as that’s me, was able to pass security first of all as what is the point of having it if anyone can change your details, contract, etc? Surely by letting me hear the recording this can be resolved easily. I’m not trying to hang VM out to dry here but someone not authorised in the account shouldn’t be able to make changes and sign up for a new contract. The reason I changed 4 days before and also stayed on a 30 days rolling contract is that I’m moving in the 6-8 weeks so a 12 month contract was never an option anyway

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If VM can't produce call recordings, they can't hold you to any contract.  If you want any recordings that exist, then you need to search, read and follow the Virgin Media Privacy Policy, and make a subject data access request to the company.  But that'll take several weeks, and you've still got to get the customer service people to correct the contract you're on, which given the poor standard of service could take further weeks.

I'd hope the forum team will spot this and get it sorted quickly.  If they don't, then VM will insist on you paying exit penalties, and you may have to pay those to avoid a default being recorded on your credit history, and then claim them back (with compensation) afterwards.  I'd hope it wouldn't come to that because it's a waste of your time, VM aren't going to win, and if the company continue to bungle this and you need to escalate to CISAS, then the company get charged a "case fee" somewhere between £150 and £700, depending on whether they 'fess up and pay up immediately, or fight to the bitter end and lose.  

Fighting VM through the appropriate channels is a painfully slow process; But the good news is that persistence pays off, with VM's argument winning in only about 2% of cases that get escalated to CISAS. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @TerryWoolford

Welcome to our Community and thank you so much for your post - I am sorry to understand that there has been some confusion with your new package and contract. I would be more than happy to take a closer look for you. 

As we'll need to access your account and go through security, we'll do this via Private Message. I'll pop you one now so we can go though securty; please just look out for the Purple Envelope and pop me a reply when you have a moment. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @TerryWoolford

Just a quick post to advise that I have sent the email as requested - you should have it shortly 🙂 

If you need anything further or need me to clarify anything else, you know where to find me.

Thanks so much for your time and patience. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos