Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Constant Hacking problem

Hi. For three weeks I’ve been battling with a hacker. I have all the latest anti virus programs that I use individually.

mcAfea live safe

malwarebytes professional 

superantispyware paid

The hack started I think around the time I updated my bios to the UEFI standard for full security 
so my pc met the minimum requirements for pc security 

As soon as I noticed I started resetting passwords changing all router passwords and ssd and all accounts on pc. I was even getting hacked whilst off line and could only assume it was through the 4K hdmi Lead to my tv and the tv was connected via WiFi to virgin hub 3.0. 
anyway I plugged into different tv not connected to internet. 
I only noticed (I think far too late) that I suddenly couldn’t gain access to folders, public folders kept getting regenerated, every restart, all my programs were getting moved and permissions were being changed, tip of iceberg, I also noticed my laptop was  connected to WiFi with live safe Firewall vpn and the router firewalls  I took a quick look noticed I couldn’t gain access to many folders and turned it off  and I’ve not even attempted to sort that out yet

I’m on about the tenth fresh install. I’m reading everything I can get my hands on. Malwarebytes are trying to help me. McAfea have had a look and couldn’t even run a program so had to abandon helping me.

malware bytes say the chances of me being hacked like this is akin to winning the lottery so it’s very unlikely. I tried to ring virgin for help about two weeks ago and I got sent to one operator who told me to switch my laptop on and go into settings at which point I had to tell them that all my folders are being downloaded by a hacker and I can’t go online with it, OMG then sent from one operator to another then another and then had phone put down on me, 

how have I been relentlessly hacked through all the security and indeed continue to be hacked. I’ve lost hundreds of pounds due to the lack of being able to compile an email to claim back my expenses from work and now it’s too late to claim anything back. 
I still don’t know exactly how much I’ve lost in the way of photos music and files. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Constant Hacking problem

I have no specific knowledge about UEFI but a cursory glance at articles brought up by a google search seem to suggest it may have significant security vulnerabilities.  Perhaps this is indeed where your problem began.

Others will no doubt have comments to add here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

Very sorry for what is happening, but from reading your post it looks like something on your home network keeps infecting the other devices, in the first instance I would speak to the local Police Cyber Crimes department all forces do have one.

Have security software doesn't negate getting spyware which is what I believe you have, the people who distribute spyware are always one step ahead of the security software companies. Something has got into your system, I very much doubt it would have been the BIOS update as long as you got it off the website of the manufacture of the motherboard.

You would not have been hacked by the HDMI cable as it just sends Video / Audio and no other data.

The infection could have come from anywhere email, opening an infected website that has planted its payload in your PC.

Finding and removing infections can be quite hard, if you have reinstalled the operating system cleanly a number of times, makes my believe that potentially the spyware/virus in embeded in the boot sector of your drive.

I am afraid that as far a Virginmedia is concerned it will be a chargeable service, something called Gadget Rescue, but from what you have said even reinstalling has not helped.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

You would not have been hacked by the HDMI cable as it just sends Video / Audio and no other data.

FYI: HDMI Ethernet and Audio Return Channel

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for answer. Yeah I have heard that twice now about UEFI. Thing is. My pc didn’t meet the minimum security requirements without UEFI. In one way I’ve always been about 90% ready to get hacked. Ie. Two factor on everything minimum links to accounts
I’m  going to factory reset router.  Set up long passwords install all windows updates off line check all my other Rom. Ram. Wipe my bios remove battery and reinstall off line 

the Microsoft malicious software removal tool found a threat and the whole MSRT program vanished haha. With the virus 

ive got a hard drive with all my virus ridden hard drives copied so I can use that as far as cyber cops go 

I’ll eventually get it sorted and I appreciate everyone’s input 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. You have very good points and I think your pretty close if not completely right. I’m going through all possibilities and the infection from somewhere 

ie the iso with windows on could have had a trigger 

I’m stabbing in the dark to an extent so try not to roll your eyes haha. there maybe automatic triggers injected into shell scripts in certain files but I could be wrong 

ive bought hacking for dummies ha. To try and understand how this happens

anyway I’ll get started again and try to start from router  Factory reset clean and reinstall Using new separate up to date windows etc

msrt found a root kit and then vanished hopefully I  managed to erase pc before it got reinstalled 

I’ll also get a few deep scan virus malware programs doing there stuff separately and on new dvds to install offline

again thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

DJ shadow 

got most of his albums 

checked my 4K hdmi and it’s just hi speed 

must be automatically triggered shell scrips running wild

No idea why. There wasting there time and I’m not giving up 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When explaining the things that have happened, people look at you as if you’re mad but, I know exactly what you are talking about. What you have explained is pretty much the exact same as what I have experienced. When you call virgin, you are diverted to the scammers who pretend to be Virgin. You explain everything after waiting forever on hold to only give more information away. I would like to be able to speak with you directly but I don’t know how this is possible. I have a lot of information to exchange and would hope to learn new information too? Thanx.

0 Kudos