Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing email from Virgin Media

psb69
Tuning in

A couple of weeks ago I received this email from VM:

We’re changing your WiFi Hub settings so you can enjoy faster speeds
Hello xxxx,

The Intelligent WiFi technology in your Hub has spotted that by making a small change to your Hub settings, you could enjoy faster speeds to any 5G-ready devices at home.

Changing your Hub settings is nice and simple – we’ll do it for you remotely, so there’s nothing you need to do.

And if your WiFi’s ever running slowly or you’re experiencing a problem, take a look at our step-by-step guide to get back up to speed.

Thanks,

The Virgin Media team

Now I thought I was pretty good at understanding the basics of technology but the bit "making a small change to your Hub settings, you could enjoy faster speeds to any 5G-ready devices at home." confused me.

Hub settings = either connection to the Virgin network or configuration of the wi-fi in the house
5G-ready devices = devices capable of connecting to the 5G mobile/cellular data network

Wi-Fi/Cellular = two totally different and unconnected things

Now it could be that the email was referring to 5Ghz wi-fi but if that was the case it was a bad typo.
Had a VM engineer here yesterday and showed him the email. He was telling me it was probably because the V3 SuperHub had inbuilt cellular transmitting technology. I didn't believe that and looking at a teardown online of the V3 SuperHub there is nothing to support that theory.

So please can VM, or anyone else, explain why changes VM made to the hub would improve the speed to 5G devices?

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is just badly worded.  It is referring to 5Ghz WiFi capable devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi psb69 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry for the confusing email.  As per Graham_A I am certain that the email is badly worded.  I can feed this back on your behalf for quality purposes.
Regards

Lee_R

Thanks both for the replies. Good to know that I'm not losing it!

I suspect it suffered from a marketing intervention as it is one thing to miss a 'hz' off '5Ghz devices' but an altogether different thing to refer to '5G ready devices'. I'd never heard of a device being described as being 5Ghz wi-fi 'ready', only '5G mobile data ready' like when televisions were sold as being 'HD ready'. Anyway thanks for the replies and I'm glad I wasn't missing some wonderful new feature.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

You're very welcome psb69

Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R