Menu
Albus74
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Compromised email

Hi,

I have not been a Virgin customer for over a year but I continue to receive emails to my old @blueyonder account. This @blueyonder account has been compromised and there have been attempts to change some accounts that were linked (which I had missed). I am unable to access the email via Virgin to change the password but I thought the account would have been closed by now anyway - can you help (either to access to amend password or close it down). Thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Compromised email

@Albus74 wrote:

Hi,

I am unable to access the email via Virgin to change the password ..... - can you help (either to access to amend password or close it down).

You can try changing the password by using the "Forgotten your password?" link on this sign in page https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

You will be asked for your username (your email address) and the answer to your security question which you may need to enter in upper case letters.

Changing the password may deter the hackers for a while but you still need to get the account deleted.

Your best option is to wait here for one of the Forum Team (VM employees) to pick up on your post and arrange for the email account to be deleted for you. Once they tell you that has been done I would recommend checking on this website  https://mailtester.com to confirm that the address has been completely removed from the system

"I thought the account would have been closed by now anyway "

Yes it should have been but VM have not  been great at doing their housekeeping and some accounts linger on for years. 😮

"there have been attempts to change some accounts that were linked"

Hopefully you have now linked those other online accounts to your new email address.

Coenoby.

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Albus74
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately when I try to log in the email is not recognised, I was a secondary email on my partners account and we are unable to get into what was the main account as we have no recollection of our account number and the main email is not recognised either. 

I have checked mailtester and both email accounts are still live. 

Hopefully someone from Virgin will get to this thread at some point.

Thanks again 

Albus74

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Albus74,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your email sorted out, I will be more than happy to help get it shut down for you.

I will need to go into a PM so we can chat about account specifics but basically what I'll do is ask our IT team to delete your email off all our systems. They usually take between 2 and 4 days to complete this so we'll get the ball rolling today.

Ill send the PM now 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L