Menu
MightyAnt
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Cold call calming to be from Virgin technical team to fix speed problem scam

Hi all,

Just had the my new virgin landline/ internet package and already have someone cold calling to say he is from Virgin technical department.

He did not ask for any verification question and go straight and say 'if you have any problem with the internet speed being sometime fast and sometime slow?' and 'ask when you remember the last time the internet being slow'

The he ask you go to 'run' and type 'cmd' to see if there are service being 'stopped' and tell you that cause the slow down. We I told him it is because that is some service I don't use hence it stopped he just move to ask you to go to www.hub19.webs.com saying this is a 'virgin' service to rectify the problem.

After going to the website, it shows it is for REMOVING ERRORS & WARNINGS and have lots of servers link. He will told you to click one of the server, in fact it is to download a program which they can take control of your computer. and he will ask you to run the program and ask you for the partnering number. DO NOT GIVE THEM THE NUMBER.

He reluctantly gave me his name, with an African accent he said his name is Adam Wilson, and when I say I need to verify with virgin, he will say he is working under customer detail safety act hence not even the customer service department will know what the technical department is doing. He then ask you to run CMD and say he can verify himself by telling you your CLSID, which is not an unique number.

I am posting this because:

1. stop people from being scam

2. Asking Virgin how did scammer get my detail of being a Virgin user?

3. Can Virgin please block the scammer number for all user? 

Thanks

StIvesSeagull
Joining in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cold call calming to be from Virgin technical team to fix speed problem scam

I have at 12.27 today received one of these so called broadband security breach calls which I chose to defer for an hour on the pretext preparing lunch whilst I do some checking. Like others no initial security checks by the caller just straight in saying my broadband/ wifi connection has been compromised. The recorded number of the caller was/is 0797 5589 0380. I am awaiting a call back at 1.30 pm. Should it happen I will inform the caller that his phone number has been put on the Virgin Media community. Also if the call back happens I will return here to confirm and try to recap the conversation. If I do not return it means the call back did not happen. I think it is unfortunate that VM do not do more to contact it's customers advising of such activity is occurring and to thus be forewarned and reminded of the VM procedures validating such calls with the protocols set up. 

6 minutes to go!!!!

St Ives Seagull 

0 Kudos
gordongr
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cold call calming to be from Virgin technical team to fix speed problem scam

Many thanks for warning.

I also had cold call this morning. He talked me through all of the steps you mentioned.  I downloaded the app that he asked me to do. This came up with a number. Luckily the phone line went dead so was unable to pass that number onto him.

He called back an hour later asking me if I ran the application. I said I did but I would not give him the number.  He got very annoyed anbd put the phone down.

Since then I have run full virus checking scan and all clear.

Many thanks again. 

0 Kudos
StIvesSeagull
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As I thought return call never happened have since spoken with a verified VM operator and the details I provided were confirmed as a scam attempt. So be warned No VM protocols at start of incoming call do not engage with the caller. 

St Ives Seagull

0 Kudos
magicniner
Superfast
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Same thing here from 01859948627. 
Vague non technical descriptions of the "Problem" with connections to my router which when challenged prompted the caller to transfer me to what I assume is a better versed scammer. 
The second operative decided they needed to call me back later after I suggested I could solve the issues myself since I have access to the advanced settings on my Virgin Router. 
No Virgin security protocols at the start of the call so definitely a scam. 
I'm guessing they will not call back.

The CEO Team Customer Services came through for me!
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin will definitely not ask you to download anything, & will go through proper procedures asking for parts of your password etc.

Scammers DO NOT know you are a Virgin customer. There are several tools on the internet for finding out the number ranges that are allocated to different telco providers. They then set auto diallers to dial all these numbers & just assume that the majority of people that have those numbers are customers of that provider.

The number IDs they use are usually fake, but they are now increasingly cloning legitimate numbers from unsuspecting companies & members of the public. For this reason it is impossible for providers to block these numbers without genuine users suffering as a result.

The only real answer is a move to fully digital VoIP services, which all landlines will do by 2025. There are already tools being developed to authenticate that VoIP to VoIP calls are genuine numbers.

Last but not least, nearly all scammers call themselves Adam for some inexplicable reason.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
blok
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I got a call from them today. This is how the conversation went:

Scammer said they were calling from Virgin Media. That they had detected a problem with my broadband and that I've been receiving a lot of attacks. That they were going to help me fix the problem!

They wanted:

1. To know how many lights were switched on, on my router - I guess that tells them which model router I have.

2. To know how many devices I normally have connected.

3. To know what type of mobile phone I use, Android or IOS.

4. Me to access the command prompt (Win key + r) and to type in, "eventvwr". That would have brought up Event viewer. They wanted me to do this, so that they could show me how many "attacks" I was having.

5. They then wanted to install AnyDesk to connect.

6. When I started to query the legitimacy of the call they read out my clsid, and said there was no way they could have this without being genuine.

I spoke with three different people during the course of the call. All of them had a very heavy Asian Indian accent. 

Virgin media should do more to make customers aware of this type of scam.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
TyneBridges
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I had one at 8am today claiming to be from Virgin Security and saying my Internet was about to be disconnected. I said "Can you tell me how I know you're genuine? I'm afraid I don't believe you." Pause. "You'll probably just hang..." and, at that point, as expected, the call cut off. I guess the next thing would have been for the scammers to get my logon details, cut me off and then ask for payment to fix things. Unfortunately some people will be taken in by this.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

scams are easy to spot if you know how,

Training for end-users is whats needed. but most people think they know everything and can't be tricked
0 Kudos
MechaGS
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Now getting these calls daily from different numbers and continuously having to chase them off. It's becoming a bit ridiculous. VM should really send a letter to all customers / e-mail outlining what info they ask for in verification and such so that people don't fall for this.

Luckily, I've worked in the IT industry for a long while that I just spot this stuff a mile off but they're getting crafty now.

0 Kudos