Menu
barcode00
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Coincidental scam text after donation via text message?

I am with Virgin Mobile (Virgin Media).

I'm aware what I am about to describe is likely a scam, but I am interested in whether it is a coincidence based on my actions prior to it happening.

This morning I donated to a charity by texting a five digit number given to me by my employer. It seems the whole thing is managed by another service (Donr). I received a text back immediately confirming the donation.

In order to be able to text this number, I believe I had to change my spending cap (I am on a pay monthly contract), which I did by logging into the Virgin Mobile app on my phone.

This evening I received a text which I thought was likely to be a scam and illegitimate, claiming to be from Virgin Media and that my "monthly payment" had failed to be "pre authorised". I did not click on the link it provided, or fill out or submit any information. I changed my Virgin Media account password regardless.

My question is: is this a coincidence that I have received this text so close to making a donation? Bearing in mind I have not logged into my Virgin Media account for perhaps the whole of this year. Why would I receive this message now? Is it related to the donation I made via text? Or could it be related to me logging into my Virgin Media account through the app? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coincidental scam text after donation via text message?

@barcode00  I would say that it is an unfortunate coincidence.  There are a number of similar scam messages doing the rounds at the moment.  I received one similar to the one you describe this morning but as an email not a text message.  The VM spam filter correctly dealt with it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos