Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Checking a phone call is genuine

Call from 00800 836411 last night at 19.47 uk time

Telling me new super hub being sent as old one out of date & that there’d be no charge. The person Asked me for first line of address & postcode and then asked if phone numbers ending in...(4 digits) were my numbers one was my landline ok but the other totally unrecognisable. Being super suspicious about anything being ‘offered for nothing’ I asked for email confirmation of this of this call and pending delivery of new hub by end of this week. So far no email received. Was this a genuine call from Virgin Media?  Why the 00800 prefix - looks like an out of uk call?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Checking a phone call is genuine

Callers ID is easy to spoof and should NEVER be trusted, treat all calls as suspicious unless you know the caller.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Checking a phone call is genuine '

There is a current operation to upgrade those users with old modems to the new Hub 4. Providing they didn’t ask for payment &/or card details then it may have been genuine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you the hub’s arrived and is set up and sorted. I just found it quite strange getting the phone call and the types of questions asked then no email follow up as I requested until the actual day of delivery.  Also got a couple of texts but from an unknown mobile number without any indication that it was from Virgin Media.  IT maybe would’ve helped if Virgin could’ve emailed first via our registered email address to advise this was happening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

00800 or +800 is international freephone.  You could be charged for some of them, apparently.

https://www.area-codes.org.uk/00800-numbers.php#:~:text=0800%20numbers%20and%200808%20numbers%20are%... 

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey there Oxymorven,

Sorry to hear about the confusion with the call and you're right to be suspicious. I've found your details using the information we have on here and can see that a new Hub 4 has been sent out to you and it coincides with what you've given us. Our system identified a potential issue with your current Hub and package so to pre-empt any issues, our Equipment Team has made the necessary arrangements. I can see it's activated and hope you're enjoying your new Hub 🙂

I know you've mentioned you've received the Hub but I just wanted to give a bit more detail in case others receive the same call from that number and about a new Hub.

Thanks,

Lisa

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not a problem at all 🙂 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos