Menu
Sololobo
Superstar
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changes to the WhatsApp T's and C's

Is this another threat to your online privacy and security?
https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/06/whatsapp_terms_change/

Still, there's always Signal or Telegram.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changes to the WhatsApp T's and C's

it just means that if you are talking with your sister on whatsapp about buying a loaf of hovis, you may get an advert on facebook for bread.

as an anti scammer, when you see the info people willingly give to all and sundry and still use the password 1234567, whattsapp's 'threat' is the least of their worries.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Superstar
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So you see no need for concern?

Users who wish to keep using WhatsApp must be prepared to give up personal info such as their names, profile pictures, status updates, phone numbers, contacts lists, and IP addresses, as well as data about their mobile devices, such as model numbers, operating system versions, and network carrier details, to the mothership. If users engage with businesses via the app, order details such as shipping addresses and the amount of money spent can be passed to Facebook, too.

I believe that too many are accepting the gradual erosion of their personal privacy, solely for convenience, but without due consideration to the potential harm which can follow from the misuse of their data.

I'm not paranoid, "but they are out to get me!" 🤣

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Odd that The Register reported those in the European region, which includes the UK, are not impacted by the changes begging the question why they are asked to agree to the new terms.

Facebook are after WhatsApp's phone number data as it will provide them with the unique identifiers needed to further exploit people; from the seemingly benign ads appearing because groceries were discussed to the propagation of information that has contributed to its users being involved in genocide and other criminal activities, to being manipulated to vote / not vote during elections.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Superstar
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

https://inews.co.uk/news/technology/whatsapp-facebook-sharing-data-privacy-terms-update-policy-uk-us... 

Facebook is due to move the UK out of the EU’s privacy jurisdiction at some point this year, now that Brexit has been completed.

The social media giant told Reuters in December: “Like other companies, Facebook has had to make changes to respond to Brexit and will be transferring legal responsibilities and obligations for UK users from Facebook Ireland to Facebook Inc.”

It added: “There will be no change to the privacy controls or the services Facebook offers to people in the UK.”

Going by this, Facebook is saying Whatsapp will not share your data even after the transition.

However, it will legally be able to do so, so could go back on this at any point in the future.

I have no doubt that at some time this year Facebook owned WhatsApp will be transferred to Facebook Inc. and information will be shared, whether you like it or not.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

'information will be shared, whether you like it or not'

i've no doubt of that, but unless they have a breach, there are far more concerns people should have with regard to scammers or hackers in general every day life.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Superstar
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

For information only.

A list of the data which various messaging apps have about you can be viewed here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/whatsapp-vs-signal-vs-telegram-vs-facebook-what-data-do-they-have-abou...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

0 Kudos