Menu
sudar82
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Certain domain being intermittently blocked

Im a web developer making constant changes to website(s) - using FTP to upload files to my hosting company but the domain is intermittently beign blocked. I have located this to be down to Virgin Media as i've tested it on different ISP's, devices and networks.

I'll be making chnages and uploading them to the server and webpages update in live and then the next minute the site offline with the following message but after about 10-15 mins the site comes back up again:

This site can’t be reached

How do I get the main domain white listed with Virgin Media?

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Certain domain being intermittently blocked

Can you post a screenshot of the error message as it is unclear whether this is due to Web Safe's Child Safe or Virus Safe components or something else?

Try:

Alternatively consider disabling Web Safe if appropriate for your environment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sudar82
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Please find a screenshot attached.

It's frustrating as i spent over an hour and a half today with Virgin Media tech support and they couldn't find anything.

It appears to be a VM network issue of some sort because whilst the sites/domains appear offline for me temporarily they are working for other networks including my mobile (no WIFI).

Since about 10.30am this morning it's all been working perfectly until 6.35pm tonight and the issue has started again.

0 Kudos
sudar82
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot 2021-02-03 184148.png

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

it is unlikely Web Safe is the cause, given screenshot and intermittent occurrence.

Does the issue occur in other browsers on the device or just Chromium based ones? 

Do results from ping and/or traceroute commands show any inconsistencies when run against the site's domain?

0 Kudos
sudar82
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, The 'Request timed out' reponse occurs in all browsers during these intermittent times.

Ping produces request timed out message

Traceroute produced the following message:

Screenshot 2021-02-03 205155.png

It's such a strange issue as the sites work on other networks - i.e. EE mobile phone or BT during those intermittent down times.

Thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

AFAICS egress from Virgin Media network occurs at step 6 so the cause lies elsewhere; the hostname at step 7 (VIRGIN-peer) may hint at why other networks are not experiencing the issue, i.e. they have their own peer point on the network. FYI: steps 7, 8 point to network infrastructure operated by UK Dedicated Servers Limited.

Have you raised this issue with the hosting service?

sudar82
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for that detail and help. 

I went back to the hosting company and after them stating a few times that it was an ISP issue they have taken a look and finally said they put some extra restrictions in place since they suffered DDos attacks last week - which ties in with when the problems started.

So frustrating as it's been a huge waste in time and i'm behind on work but finally got there (hopefully). 

Thanks

0 Kudos