cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't switch off web safe. .

Jiffy1
Joining in

Tried numerous times to switch off the recent web safe addition from Virgin Media banning access to most web addresses. Any attempt bounces me back to my account page.  Every attempt bounces me back to the 'My Account' page.  It only appears when using Microsoft Edge as the browser.  Other browsers operate normally. How do i fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the issue occur on other devices?

It is unusual to read of:

• Web Safe blocking access to sites when using Edge browser but not when using other browser
  • protonvpn.com being blocked by Virus Safe instead of the expected Child Safe:
    2023-09-03.jpeg

Consider running a full virus scan on the device and an additional scan with the free version of  Malwarebytes or similar software; also review which add-ons / extensions are being used with Edge browser in case one or more are the cause of the issue.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What error message is shown when you try to visit http://protonvpn.com?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Look out your virgins media virus safe settings have blocked this site. This is the same message that I get from numerous sites. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the issue occur on other devices?

It is unusual to read of:

• Web Safe blocking access to sites when using Edge browser but not when using other browser
  • protonvpn.com being blocked by Virus Safe instead of the expected Child Safe:
    2023-09-03.jpeg

Consider running a full virus scan on the device and an additional scan with the free version of  Malwarebytes or similar software; also review which add-ons / extensions are being used with Edge browser in case one or more are the cause of the issue.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll try out your suggestions.

I did as you suggested, with no success. Finally i spent hours getting through to Virgin Media's help desk and they turned off teh virus safe service.  Thanks for trying.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good to read you resolved issue but it is concerning that Virus Safe was being triggered when trying to visit protonvpn.com in Edge but not other browsers