cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from Virgin Media, maybe.

norskyorkie
Superfast

I do have TV, Broadband and Landline but not a Mobile account so maybe not the correct forum.

Over the last few days I've had half a dozen calls on my 3 mobile from 08000 052 1251 claiming to be from Virgin.

Being of the suspicious type I ignored them, I don't have any problems that they would need to talk to me about and from past experience I doubt they would be ringing to offer me a reduction in my package.

I could just block the number but I am also inquisitive and wonder if this is a genuine Virgin call what do they want to talk to me about that is so urgent.

Is it Virgin and has anyone answered and know what the calls are about?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Could be from VM, but "number spoofing" by scammers is easy enough, so you can't trust the number displayed on the handset. 

Reasons for calling you could be that the company's marketing analytics has pulled you up as somebody who might be amenable to "upselling", or that your contract is within a few months of ending.  If it's the latter, proactive outbound calling increases the chance a customer won't have yet looked around for other companies' offers, and may well take a not-so-good value contract renewal believing it to be a good deal.  If a customer themselves phones up VM in the last month of a contract (or just out of it) to talk retention deals and discounts they've got a lot more leverage.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Could be from VM, but "number spoofing" by scammers is easy enough, so you can't trust the number displayed on the handset. 

Reasons for calling you could be that the company's marketing analytics has pulled you up as somebody who might be amenable to "upselling", or that your contract is within a few months of ending.  If it's the latter, proactive outbound calling increases the chance a customer won't have yet looked around for other companies' offers, and may well take a not-so-good value contract renewal believing it to be a good deal.  If a customer themselves phones up VM in the last month of a contract (or just out of it) to talk retention deals and discounts they've got a lot more leverage.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Welcome back to the community @norskyorkie.

I have been able to locate your account via your community profile and can see that nobody has noted on your account that they have tried to call you.

Did the person say what the call was about before you hung up on them?

Regards,

Steven_L