Menu
Squizzel83
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Calls from 08000521251

Over the last few weeks I have been getting increasingly frequent calls from 08000521251 which I believe is from virgin media. When I answer the call noone brothers to speak and it is very frustrating as I work shifts in a hospital and don't need disturbed. I have already selected in preferences that I do not wish to be contacted by phone. I really object to being hassled to this extent with no idea what it is they are trying to contact me for. 

Can somebody tell me why I am being contacted so frequently?

If it continues I will be moving from virgin as this intrusive behaviour is ridiculous.  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Calls from 08000521251

This is wrong and should not be happening. Wait for a forum team member to work through to your post in a few hours / days to help resolve this issue. In the meantime consider the following options:

• should you get to speak with a sales person tell them that you have not consented to receive sales call and to stop immediately; keep a note of when the call was received and who you spoke with.
  • send an email to dpo@virginmedia.co.uk to notify them that your data is being processed for direct marketing without consent.

If the issue should persist then discuss the matter with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).

teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As @用心棒 has suggested, an email to the DPO department had the calls stopped for me.  It's not instant though, it took a couple of weeks for a reply - then about a week after that, the calls stopped.

If the calls are coming through on your mobile, block the number.  If you have Virgin Mobile as well, you need to opt-out on both the Broardband and Mobile accounts.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Beltane
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My mother has been receiving calls from this number for the last four days in a row asking to talk to me.  I've contacted Virgin and they have told me that no one has been trying to contact me.  I don't have a mobile phone and only gave Virgin my mother's number for when a repairer needs to contact us, so whoever they really are, they must have got the number from Virgin Media.  The real Virgin Media told me to contact the Telephone Preference Service to get the number blocked but the TPS have informed me that they can't block numbers.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just about all of Virgin's sales/Customer Service is sourced out to different third party's across the globe, so it's not uncommon for that one side does not know who or what the other side is doing/calling 😵

If your number is known by Virgin - it is shared with Virgin's 3rd party's, all in the link here

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Don’t forget that a number may be registered to VM, but you can NEVER assume that is them calling you. It’s very easy to spoof numbers on caller ID, just ask all the people who have thought it’s their bank calling and lost a large amount of money. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2