cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

@Michael_JK wrote:

I can confirm this is a genuine Virgin Media number used for sales purposes.

Existing customers can update their marketing preferences via My Virgin Media under 'My Profile' > 'My Preferences'.

They only give you the option to have all or nothing - It says: "Tick the box and we won't contact you about all the great stuff by email, post, SMS and phone...".

I don't mind receiving marketing information via SMS, email and post - it is phone calls I object to.  I suspect they do it this way to scare people into allowing marketing from all sources in case they miss out on something they want to know about - very underhanded practice if you ask me. 

e110074
On our wavelength

For the response / success rate of cold calling decreasing annually, it would be interesting to see just how much money it costs vs how much money is made on selling customer data to Indian call centre companies to plague unsuspecting victims with a barrage of cold calls 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@logindetails wrote:

@Michael_JK wrote:

Existing customers can update their marketing preferences via My Virgin Media under 'My Profile' > 'My Preferences'.

They only give you the option to have all or nothing - It says: "Tick the box and we won't contact you about all the great stuff by email, post, SMS and phone...".

I don't mind receiving marketing information via SMS, email and post - it is phone calls I object to.  I suspect they do it this way to scare people into allowing marketing from all sources in case they miss out on something they want to know about - very underhanded practice if you ask me. 

It's worse than that... Virgin famously make frequent calls after you cancel to give you a better deal, which you're not going to get unless you're opted into everything.

I went on a mad binge of contact preference updating after GDPR passed and it was rare that a company had all methods lumped in together, only a few out of probably a hundred or so. Virgin also had the joint longest lead time of making your changes, up to an entire month, though the daily silent calls stopped after less than a week so I guess that's a worst case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What I don't understand is why they ring me and then ask for my password details ... I just hang up when they do that.  

The password question is the one I object to the most. After all they have called us on the number given in our contact details. This means they know who they are calling but we don't know for sure who is calling us

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tom-t wrote:

The password question is the one I object to the most. After all they have called us on the number given in our contact details. This means they know who they are calling but we don't know for sure who is calling us

But they don't know if the person answering the phone call is the account holder.  How would you suggest they ascertain that the person answering the call is the authorised account holder?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Don't call in the first place Smiley Wink

Also how do we know that it is actually VM calling and not a spoof - can't be to careful these days

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know who I am, the onus is on them to prove who they are.

If there is some circumstance where they absolutely must use the phone, they should have the customer call a freephone number that can be verified online. Though scammers do the trick where they don't hang up, the victim dials the number, then they pretend to have answered it.

I've never had any other company call and ask me what my identity and password is, so I don't see why Virgin has to. That's a dozen alarm bells at once.

I'm with you on that - its something VM don't seem to understand

@Michael_JK wrote:

Hi there,

Best,

I have 2 accounts with Virgin Media - one for phone/TV/broadband, and the other for mobile.

I was having problems with daily phone calls from the Virgin foreign call centre a few years ago - and finally got Virgin to stop it by opting out of all marketing material (for several months I believed the calls to be from scammers so had not considered this). I can see in Virgin's online system that I opted out of all marketing material in January 2017. My mobile account is also set to no marketing material - and has been from the outset.

However the phone calls have started again - I have had 8 phone calls from them so far this month.

Has anyone had any better success with Virgin - getting them to stop ? Can anyone recommend anyone at Virgin to contact ?.

I cannot believe quite how stupid they are - pretty much the only option they leave me is switching to Sky & getting a different mobile number which they won't know !.