cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller saying My Broadband has Issues

BigTed59
Joining in

Had a call from someone who said his name is Neil, speaks with strong Asian accent, and says my Broadband is having problems & that I need to provide info. This on such a bad line that he had to shout, which suggests that he is in another country.

Told him to call back in a couple of days as he wanted information which I didn't have time to get.

Had all the feel of a scam caller.

Anyone else had this?

Note, my Broadband has been very bad recently, but not as bad as his phone!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

& just to confirm, Virgin will never contact you this way about Broadband issues. Their 24/7 monitoring ends at the street cabinet, so they do not monitor individual connections. They can look at the stats on your hub remotely, but only if they gain permission from you if you have informed them yourself that you are having problems.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good to read that despite having issues with your broadband you remained aware to the risk of this being a scam and thwarted the miscreant by making an excuse to hang up.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

& just to confirm, Virgin will never contact you this way about Broadband issues. Their 24/7 monitoring ends at the street cabinet, so they do not monitor individual connections. They can look at the stats on your hub remotely, but only if they gain permission from you if you have informed them yourself that you are having problems.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Having called VM and spoken to an Advisor (so difficult to actually get to talk to anyone, these days, many would giveuip trying).

They checked this out, confo=irmed it was a scam and blocked the sender's phone number.

Good service but wish they had a fast phone line for scam problems..

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BigTed59 wrote:

Having called VM and spoken to an Advisor (so difficult to actually get to talk to anyone, these days, many would giveuip trying).

They checked this out, confo=irmed it was a scam and blocked the sender's phone number.

Good service but wish they had a fast phone line for scam problems..

🤣The latest flying pig remark from customer services. They will not "block" these numbers for a good reason. The majority of them are caller display "clones" of genuine businesses & domestic customers numbers that have no connection with the scam. So blocking them would only block legitimate calls from the true owners of those numbers. These calls originate from the internet from scam call centres in places like India & the scammers use legally available software to "spoof" genuine numbers to make you think you are being called by someone in the UK. They also change the numbers they "spoof" on a daily basis, so even if they were blocked it wouldn't last very long.

Hi BigTed59 👋 thank you for getting back to us!

Glad to hear the team were able to clarify things for you, but I can appreciate these kinds of scam calls are greatly concerning. We have a great help page with more information about these and how to report them, which can be found here 👉 Dealing with Fraudulent Calls & Vishing Scams | Virgin Media Help (the section at the bottom about 'how to report a fraudulent call'.)
Hope this helps! Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly