Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Call from Virgin Media - A Scam

I got a call to my landline today which we never use. An automated message said it was a call from Virgin Media and to press 1. On doing that it was an Asian sounding voice  which was very difficult to understand. I was told to switch of all my equipment for about 4 hours as there was a fault with my router which was affecting their system, and if I did not switch off I would be without service for another month.
I had lost service with 4 cut offs this week both TV and Internet , I had also just cancelled an engineers visit after discovering it was a problem affecting everyone in my area. Because of this earlier problem  the callers warning sounded convincing. After reflecting on the situation I rang Virgin Media who said it was a scam. Whoever it was they never asked for any details.

A strange situation not sure what they had to gain, the number was  from 0140 7060 561, I rang that number from my mobile but it was not recognised.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call claiming to be from Virgin Media - A Scam

Unfortunately this is an all to common scam/phishing attempt that has been doing the rounds for many months.  There are similar ones claiming to be from BT or Open Reach.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call from Virgin Media - A Scam

@landcross wrote:

I got a call to my landline today which we never use. An automated message said it was a call from Virgin Media and to press 1. On doing that it was an Asian sounding voice  which was very difficult to understand. I was told to switch of all my equipment for about 4 hour

Whoever it was they never asked for any details.

A strange situation not sure what they had to gain, the number was  from 0140 7060 561, I rang that number from my mobile but it was not recognised.

Well done for being wary.

Your experience is a bit unusual because in most cases the 'press 1' option (TIP never press 1 when prompted  by an automated message) takes you to someone who smooth talks you into installing software on your computer which then allows them to access your device. They can then install whatever malware they like, capture your login credentials and possibly ask you to pay for the privilege. 

My advice would be to be extremely wary of a second follow up call - just put the phone down on them. That first call may just have been to make you think that they were genuine and meant you no harm. They may well be planning  to call again to do the real damage by banking on the fact that you will be more trusting because you have spoken to them before. 😮

Regarding the unrecognised number, I am not a bit surprised. Telephone scammers always spoof (falsify) the number that appears in your caller display.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer