Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Brown box tamper

Hi,

I have been having trouble with my virgin broadband. I keep getting notices come up online to 'prove I am not a robot' due to unusual activity in my server. The IP address this is coming in from is not my own and somewhat out of area. My WIFI is coming up as an unsecured network. My router is also set up as a VPS and not VPS 2/3

This has been a problem for a while but last night my WIFI was extremely intermittent. Today I went out and looked at the brown box on the outside of my house and there was a draw string holding the box together that had been undone and left undone. I also noticed it looks like someone has tried to force the box open as the bottom half of the box lid is coming away from the seal in which a cut blue wire is hanging out of the partly open seal- there is also some sort of fitted clip attached on the wire (shaped as a cube attaching round the wire and half sphere attached to the end of the cube- all white clear plastic.) 

Any idea what could be happening? What can be done about this issue? How can I solve it? 

Has anyone else had this issue? What was the outcome? Had your box been tampered with? Should I be worried about online access such as banking, online shopping, accounts? 

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Brown box tamper

The IP address this is coming in from is not my own” you do no.t have your own IP address, it can change at any time.

“WIFI was extremely intermittent.” do you mean WiFi or internet connection? Do Ethernet cabled devices also have problems?

“cut blue wire is hanging out” there are no blue wires in the internet connection. It’s probably a telephone connection.

”sort of fitted clip attached on the wire” this is probably a just a joiner between two cable.

NOBODY can ‘tap’ into your internet connection and hijack any of your data. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Brown box tamper

@ob123 wrote:

Hi,

<snip> Today I went out and looked at the brown box on the outside of my house and there was a draw string holding the box together that had been undone and left undone. I also noticed it looks like someone has tried to force the box open as the bottom half of the box lid is coming away from the seal in which a cut blue wire is hanging out of the partly open seal- there is also some sort of fitted clip attached on the wire (shaped as a cube attaching round the wire and half sphere attached to the end of the cube- all white clear plastic.) 

<snip>

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you! 

How about posting a photo to help illustrate what you are trying to describe?

At a stretch, it sounds like you might be describing a gel-filled crimp connector attached to a bit of telephone wire which has somehow been abused into making a fastener to try to keep the box shut!

0 Kudos