Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bogus calls from virgin media??

Over the last week I've had 3 phone calls claiming to be virgin media, saying that they have detected suspicious activity on our virgin media router and that malware and viruses have been attached to our router. The person wouldn't give me his name and wanted to talk me through what to do with my router/modem in order to remove this issue. I thought it sounded a bit suspect so I hung up on each occasion. The last call was just before I came on here to type this and I've just received another call whilst typing this!

Is this a legitimate phone call from virgin media?

The phone number is 01633 666241

Thanks SarahJ8

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Bogus calls from virgin media??

scam calls - ignore them and block the number - not that that does much good as they change it each time usually

if you want some fun just string them along - dont actually do anything they ask just say you do - might discourage them from trying again

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem over the last 2 days - each time from different numbers.

I have call barring but this is not stopping them.

I assume this is from the data breach earlier in the year as I don't give out my home telephone number - to anyone but family.

Is there anything that can be done Virgin Media please ?

The numbers are - 01785617687, 01623463639, 01924225773

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Rylapar wrote:

I am having the same problem over the last 2 days - each time from different numbers.

I have call barring but this is not stopping them.

No, it won't

I assume this is from the data breach earlier in the year as I don't give out my home telephone number - to anyone but family.

No, its not. Lists of telephone numbers used by all providers are freely available on the internet. They call random blocks of numbers & if your number is allocated to Virgin they just assume you are a Virgin customer.

Short answer. No. Our old antequated analogue phone system was never designed to carry calls routed from the internet. There is no way to secure it. The entire system will be retired by 2025, when our phones will plug into our hubs & then all manner of security options are available.

Which are all fake. The scammers can choose to use any number they want, even your own, as some unlucky people have already found.

Thanks

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Rylapar wrote:

<snip>

Thanks

Consider buying a call screening and blocking device, or a phone with those features, which will significantly reduce or stop the unwanted calls.

0 Kudos