Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder email & password release on 95,000 accounts

Hi, 

I have just had a mail from "Have I Been Pwned" saying my email & password has appeared on a site with 96,000 others. I have looked at the link attached which openly shows 96,000 emails & passwords of Blueyonder users.

Looking at my entries they seem to be mainly old ones (other members of my family are also on the list), but still a risk if you only make minor changes to your passwords. Also amazing how many people have 1234abcd or password as their password! 

Is Blueyonder /Virgin aware of this? 

I have not posted the link here as it just makes the issue worse by circulating it further. 

Buzz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder email & password release on 95,000 accounts

You can bet VM are aware, but it doesn't mean that VM were the source.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The worry is that this is a freely available text file to anyone with the link, all BY email addresses.

Rgs

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Buzzpipaluk wrote:

I have just had a mail from "Have I Been Pwned" saying my email & password has appeared on a site with 96,000 others. I have looked at the link attached which openly shows 96,000 emails & passwords of Blueyonder users.

That is odd because “Have I been pwned” do not disclose such information. Are you sure it was from them?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Buzzpipaluk, sorry for any fright or inconvenience that email may have caused.  

If you've not yet deleted it, could I ask you to forward it to phishing@virginmedia.com with a covering note? Whilst I agree it's likely they're aware of it already, I'd rather be 100% certain.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes, I just checked on the "Have I been pwned" website from a different device just to be sure it's not a scam email/site. 

Inputting my email it shows it has been found on a "paste" on another site. The file is very large and takes ages to download.

I will send it to the virgin scam email address as suggested. Not sure if they ever do anything though. Some feedback from them would be good.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for agreeing to forward on the email Buxxpipsluk

Our forum team will not have access to the email, nor will we be able to chase it up on your behalf, but rest assured, the team you forward it to, will take it seriously.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Intriguing, I have checked my blueyonder address on the pwned site and it doesn't reveal any recent breaches and certainly no downloadable files.

I would be shocked if that site did make such lists publicly available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Maybe your name is not on the list? Did you go to the bottom of the results screen and look for the Paste results? That's where my results found the file link. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it claims my address appears on three lists, none recent.  I don't see any paste links on the page.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos