Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Blocked IP

I cannot send email through my mail server because my router IP address is blocked by Spamhaus.  I have been trying to resolve this with Virgin for weeks and hoped to get some help here.   

I know nothing about ports but was advised by spamhaus that messages are being sent through this IP address to port 25.

Help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blocked IP

Hello

Where is you email server hosted ?

If your email server is hosted at home that is quite normal as running an email server on a home internet connection which has a dynamic IP address will get blocked by a lot of other email servers, the only way around this is to use email relaying I have done this myself.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Edited out - gone away for a further think.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there. 
I note that you have gone away to think - I am most grateful. 
I have read a post re this issue and checking out ones network but it was using an android. I am using a Mac. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

I am using a mail server hosted with an external 3 party.

I have spent many hours with them, but they say the issue is with virgin as I can send email if I send through webmail. 

any other thoughts? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Well if the Spamhaus says your IP is on the block list then something is sending spam from your local network, have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... this will help you find out what device it is, it could be anything Smart devices, Firesticks, Android devices.

If you are running Hola VPN Free, then note But Hola Free VPN is anything but a VPN.

Regards Mike

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Mike,

Thanks for this link.  

I have looked at this but it obv shows how to trace on a windows based machine.  I use Macs and have no idea how to "do" such a trace with a Mac - Any ideas..

also gmail/iCloud go out from our router fine.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is something going on here which needs sorting out. If you are sending mail via a third party mail server hosted by a third party host then the mail VM servers are not involved in the sending process. VM are not blocking your IP address because they are only the carrier for your traffic. I think you should be getting involved more with your mail hosting service because that is where the solution lies. Whether you can send via VM web mail is irrelevant to this discussion. This is not a VM issue. It is quite possible that your email hosting service is blocking your IP. We see it all the time and it is the devil's work to get them to admit it. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Howard ML 

Thanks for your comments.

Spamhaus is blocking my IP address from my VM router.

My third party are blocking the IP address because it is blocked by Spamhaus.

Awful mess as no-one wants to be responsible.  My iCloud and gmail send with ease.

Should I try changing 3rd party mail server supplier?   No-one else in the family has an issue. Only my domain emails are the problem..

thanks for your expertise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@I-need-help wrote:

Howard ML 

Thanks for your comments.

Spamhaus is blocking my IP address from my VM router.

No it isn't blocking anything. Drop this idea immediately. Spamhaus compile lists of public IP addresses that appear to be sending spam. ISPS and ESPs use these lists to decide how best to protect their incoming and outgoing email servers

My third party are blocking the IP address because it is blocked by Spamhaus.

Your email host may be doing this. Spamhaus are not

Awful mess as no-one wants to be responsible.  My iCloud and gmail send with ease.

You are alone responsible.  If your IP address is on a Spamhaus blocklist then it is for you to remove it. It must mean that spam ha sbeen detected as coming from your address. Which blocklist?

Should I try changing 3rd party mail server supplier?   No-one else in the family has an issue. Only my domain emails are the problem..

I offer no advice on this. But think about it.  

thanks for your expertise.