Menu
DanielClarke22
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bizarre cold call

Hi there

I just received a bizarre cold call from somebody from Virgin Media, apparently.

The person spoke very fast and incoherently to the extent that that's all I could really get from them was that people were using my WiFi and that there was illegal activities which is "not very good at all". 

They then started asking questions about how many lights on the router are flashing etc at which point I hung up.

Could somebody please confirm whether this is a genuine call? I suspect not. 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Bizarre cold call

It was a phishing attempt from a scammer.

Virgin Media do not make unsolicited calls of that nature.

There are many similar reports on this and other forums.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DanielClarke22
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your speedy response - I thought as much! He got fairly defensive when I called him out for being a scammer.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DanielClarke22 wrote:
He got fairly defensive when I called him out for being a scammer.

Unfortunately, those scammers will almost certainly call again although next time it will appear to be from a different number and they may give you a  different story.

Although it is very tempting to let them know what you think of them, the best thing to do with scammers is to simply put the phone down as soon as you realise it s a scam call. The truth is that the more you engage with them the more likely it is they will call again.

Think of the scammer as a fisherman. As far as he is concerned you were a chunky fish that managed to wriggle of the hook. No fisherman gives up that challenge at the first, second, or even third attempt! However, if you simply refuse to engage with them (using my fishing analogy - don't take the bait) and just end the call, your phone number is much more likely to be dropped off their list of potential victims.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DanielClarke22
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coenoby

Agreed - great analogy! They caught me on a stressful morning - typically it's an immediate hang up job.

Daniel

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @DanielClarke22,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear your experienced these scam calls. Just to confirm were any personal details given during the call? You may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DanielClarke22
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Akua

Thanks for sharing this - no personal details were shared

Regards

Daniel
0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear this @DanielClarke22.

Please let us know if the calls persist and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos