Menu
spmb79
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Billing scam?

I’ve received a text message in the same thread as I normally get them but it appears to be a scam asking me to update my payment details at vm-billhelp.net rather than virginmedia.com or .co.uk.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Billing scam?

@spmb79 wrote:

I’ve received a text message in the same thread as I normally get them but it appears to be a scam asking me to update my payment details at vm-billhelp.net rather than virginmedia.com or .co.uk.

Yes, a phishing attempt. The scammers are able to spoof the sender details to make it look as if it comes from the genuine supplier.

If your mobile provider supports it forward to 7726 (SPAM).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

spmb79
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Graham, I’ve forwarded it and their going to investigate.
0 Kudos
wing
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I got a similar text message today. How did these scammers get my phone number in the first place ?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sheer chance probably. They use software to randomly text ranges of numbers and got lucky to hit on yours.

Alternatively you may have entered your number onto a compromised site or, as was the case with me a few years ago, someone made a mistake when giving their number to a loan shark site, so I got lots of texts and calls meant for that person.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
blueflush
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I received the exact same text that appeared in the normal feed today. the address it asked to go to ended in .net so I was suspicious and came here after checking my billing info through the trusted way.

I'm always on my guard for these sorts of scams

Martin

0 Kudos
cazbow
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I received same text and checked here, as thought it strange the link was vmedia-billhelp.net.  I can understand scammer using my mobile number, what I find strange is the fact the text comes from VirginMedia and is following on from my usual monthly texts saying my allowances have been refreshed.  I wonder how many unlucky people have filled in the form.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@cazbow wrote:

I received same text and checked here, as thought it strange the link was vmedia-billhelp.net.  I can understand scammer using my mobile number, what I find strange is the fact the text comes from VirginMedia and is following on from my usual monthly texts saying my allowances have been refreshed.  I wonder how many unlucky people have filled in the form.

But it isn't coming from Virgin Media, the sender is spoofing the sender details to make it look as if it is.

0 Kudos
Rozie53
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My husband had the same text message today & thought it was about his mobile account but asked me about the  message in case I had had one. I hadn't but thought his message was very suspect so fortunately he didn't respond. Came on here to check it out and suspicions confirmed.

0 Kudos
Whisty4
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I’ve got one as well, text appeared in the same text group that I always get Virgin texts from. Scary. 

0 Kudos