cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being asked for bank details

SteveGroves
On our wavelength

I was rung by someone supposedly from Virgin tonight. In fairness the phone number appeared genuine.

She wanted to review my account as a loyal customer. So far so good. I thought I would be offered a deduction in my monthly bill but it would have been an increase - however the new terms would have seen me access Sky Sports HD and an increase in Broadband speed.

So decided to give it a try - but then I was asked various security questions (that I had already disclosed) and then asked to provide bank details. At that point I said I would not comply with that request and terminated the call.

My question - please tell me that Virgin staff should not be requesting such information. I was left with the impression that this was a (hacking) scam........

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

IMO you did the right thing in stopping the call. Past posts on the forum have mentioned being asked for a banking sort code as part of 'security' checks (a dubious kind of check IMO). You can tell nothing from the incoming caller ID as it is easily faked to look like an alternative number.

VM have created a situation where their telesales calls are strikingly similar to scam calls (overseas call centres, unverifiable caller ID, mobile numbers being used for calls, pushy sales techniques/staff etc.). There have been past topics on the forum when customers have received similar calls (and the caller knew lots of info about the customer and their VM account) only to find later on that the call was fake.

If you want to renegotiate your VM package, the most reliable way to do that from a security POV is to place a call to VM yourself. Unfortunately, the deals on offer change rapidly so you might not get the same deal phoning back as you did from any earlier conversation with a genuine VM sales person who had phoned you.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

IMO you did the right thing in stopping the call. Past posts on the forum have mentioned being asked for a banking sort code as part of 'security' checks (a dubious kind of check IMO). You can tell nothing from the incoming caller ID as it is easily faked to look like an alternative number.

VM have created a situation where their telesales calls are strikingly similar to scam calls (overseas call centres, unverifiable caller ID, mobile numbers being used for calls, pushy sales techniques/staff etc.). There have been past topics on the forum when customers have received similar calls (and the caller knew lots of info about the customer and their VM account) only to find later on that the call was fake.

If you want to renegotiate your VM package, the most reliable way to do that from a security POV is to place a call to VM yourself. Unfortunately, the deals on offer change rapidly so you might not get the same deal phoning back as you did from any earlier conversation with a genuine VM sales person who had phoned you.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi SteveGroves,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry that a call you received seemed to be a scam call which you ended.

We appreciate that you were in the belief this was a scam call which you rightly ended the call, if this happens we do advise calling us directly.

I have been able to find your account and it does look like we did call you and that the call dropped, please call us so we can look further into this and arrange your upgrade if this is something you still wish to do.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Paul.

Thank you Paul for your reply.

Are Virgin call centre staff trained to ask for bank details? They must get a lot of hostility if they do given all the publicity around scams...

Regards

Steve

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I do not know for conformation of bank details why VM do not ask for say the 3rd, 4th and 6th digits of the account number and say the 2nd and 3rd digits of the sort code. This would not even show what bank was being used and it would be impossible to work out the mod10 or mod11 account number.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @SteveGroves

To confirm, was the agent running through DPA with you when you were asked for certain bank details? If you are unable to provide 3 characters of the password for your account, we'll usually run through some data protection questions with you in order to gain access. These will include things such as your current package, your last bill date, email address, the account sort code etc. 

If this was the case, this is a legitimate call from one of our agents. We only allow access to the account if the customer is able to provide correct answers for all data protection questions. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi if you have a direct debit arrangement in place they will not need bank details, I recently had a qenuine call for an upgrade which I accepted and no bank details were asked for. Regards Micky

Thanks Micky

And yes I have a direct debit....but was still asked...

Steve

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us. 

As confirmed previously, we can confirm that there are occasions that we will ask for your sort code, this is part of a confirmation prosses.

Kind regards,

Zak_M  

SteveGroves
On our wavelength

But you already have the sort code.

And do you mean "process"?