Menu
wishi
Up to speed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Be aware of clowns calling from this number

These are scammers telling you your internet isn't working.  Don't engage. Put the phone down and report the number.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Be aware of clowns calling from this number

The number you have posted has been removed by forum mods. The reason for this is that many of these numbers are cloned by the scammers from genuine businesses & customers that are nothing to do with the scam. The main reason is to prevent number blocking, but the unintended result is lot of innocent people are getting irate & abusive calls from strangers accusing them of being scammers.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
scouseuk
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

so what are vm doing about it  surely they got  some way of bloclking spoofing calls

as most come from india or pakistan

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi scouseuk,

Thanks for posting, 

You can find information regarding fraudulent calls here

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@scouseuk wrote:

so what are vm doing about it  surely they got  some way of bloclking spoofing calls as most come from india or pakistan

The problem of spoofed calls affects every telecom company not just Virgin Media of course.

Interesting article on the general issue here  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59032795      "Ofcom asks phone networks to block foreign scam calls"

Ofcom can ask for that but currently there is no easy solution because, as the article says, the UK is still reliant on a 50 year old analogue telephone system. The date for replacing that with a completely new digital service is scheduled for 2025. Until that's in place I suspect that there is not going to be any really effective way to reliably identify and then block those fraudulent calls.

Coenoby 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@scouseuk wrote:

so what are vm doing about it  surely they got  some way of bloclking spoofing calls

as most come from india or pakistan

These calls come in via the internet using servers in the UK by perfectly legitimate means. As already stated, they then enter our antiquated analogue phone system, where adding end-to-end security is a non starter. I equate it to watching a snooker game on a monochrome TV. How can you spot the blue ball if you can’t see in colour?

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993