Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Avast security says router has been hacked and its DNS settings have been modified.

Avast security on my iMac says router has been hacked and its DNS settings have been modified. Any one had this before? or has any ideas what I should do?

It says the router has already been compromised and I should reconfigure the DNS settings? Im not sure how to do this though.

Details read: 

your router has been hacked and its DNS settings have been modified to serve malicious contents. DNS records on your wireless router are hijacked. While you browse the web, hackers can freely redirect you from an authentic site to a fake one. Sensitive information such as user names, passwords, and credit card details can be acquired. Your personal data is at risk, and so is the security of all devices connected to this network.

The manual solution is to change the DNS records on your router through its admin interface. Alternatively, you can use our SecureDNS feature to shield yourself from the hijacked DNS servers.

https://help.avast.com/en/av_mac_free/14/hns/hns-dns-hijack.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Avast security says router has been hacked and its DNS settings have been modified.

Do you have your own router and the VM hub in modem mode or just the VM hub in router mode?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Avast security says router has been hacked and its DNS settings have been modified.

Hi Tudor, Thanks for your reply. Just the VM Hub3 in router mode. Since my first post I have accessed the router's settings via the VM webpage and checked everything like the DHCP but the Avast message says to complete an Automatic Configuration and clear the DNS records but I cant see how to do this or even if it is necessary.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer