Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Are Virgin Media taking advantage of fraud?

Hello, my first post on here but feel it's important my recent experience with this company is shared with as many people as possible. Like probably all of you here a few days ago I received an e-mail from VM explaining how details about me had been leaked, thought they made clear in this e-mail that passwords were not part of the leak.

Literally 4 days later I received another e-mail which looked like it was from VM saying they had added Netflix to my account at my request from linking it with my account. My first assumption was this is a phishing scam, it was full of links to click, and so soon after the first e-mail I decided to cautiously ignore it.

A few days later I received another e-mail showing my next bill, which included Netflix. At this point I immediately contacted VM call center. After an hour of waiting I got through and explained everything. It took a while, probably considerably longer than should be necessary to explain, but eventually the guy seemed to understand it was not me or anyone that I'd "shared" my details and password with that had signed up. He claimed he had reported it but could nothing about the bill because that was Netflix and I had to contact them.

I contacted Netflix and got through to a much more competent person who talked me through what to do to find the e-mail of the account that had signed up. It was an e-mail I had never heard of, clearly fraud. He said he'd immediately cancelled the account, however the first payment from my VM bill could only be cancelled by VM, contrary to what I'd been told by the call center. I'd already spent 3-4 hours trying to sort this out and had other things to do so decided to call back the next day.

The next day after over 1 hour of waiting I seemed to get through to a competent member of the call centre, I explained everything to him and he apologized and after a little wait on hold he got back to me explaining he had cancelled the first charge and backdated it to make sure I don't pay anything related to this fraud. I was happy.

Today I received an e-mail from VM explaining the changes I'd made to my account. (The change being removing Netflix) I also noticed that my 12 month minimum term contract which was about to expire this April, had now been completely reset.

I can't think of any conceivable situation where a company would believe it is acceptable to create a whole new contract date in order to remove a fraudulent charge of £11.99.

In the process of typing this message I've been on hold trying to get through to VM call center. Someone answered an hung up immediately at 37 mins waiting, I'm now trying again.

I think it's important people know this company for whatever reasons think this is ok, they have also clearly leaked passwords despite official denials. I have used the same password for this account for over 3 years that I've been with VM, yet 4 days after this leak that didn't include passwords someone managed to access mine....could be coincidence?

If anyone has any advice or where I can report this I'd be grateful. I'm giving them this 1 last change to sort this out before I contact my bank with all the details and have them reported for fraud.

Sorry for the long post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are Virgin Media taking advantage of fraud?

Just to update I now got to 51 minutes wait time and was cut off again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

FYI. This Netflix scam has been reported several times across this Community and has been going on for several months.

It is unlikely to be connected with the potential breach recently identified.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How about the renewing contract to a new 12 month term scam for removing the netflix scam charge?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well I've decided to cancel the direct debit with my bank and will now report VM for fraud. It's inconceivable that a company thinks they can do this, especially at a time where peoples money is of more importance that usual, and when it's literally impossible to contact them directly or online to challege it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

oh dear, this will now impact your credit file. even moving to another provider may prove tricky.

there has been no leak of passwords. this forum would be in melt down. scams happen every day. i'm an anti scammer and have seen no evidence at all that the recent 'issue' has resulted in what you are suggesting.

good luck with the fraud report. nothing will happen as there is no proof of anything aside from some poor customer service on the phone which certainly needs to be resolved.

my advice is to re-instate the dd and contact action fraud, although they have less than a full compliment of staff at the minute.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice but i'm really not worried about my credit file. Frankly what they have done is illegal whether they want to put the blame on their customer service advisor or not. I can no longer get into contact with them as was cut off 3 times in a row after very long waits. Who knows how long this coronavirus thing is going to last and I'm not prepared to wait that long to later claim back money that was unlawfully taken from me. Whether I was going to cancel at the end of my contract or not is irrelevent, there is litterally no conceivable situation where a company can think that removing a fraudulent charge from a bill justifies the creation of a new contract term.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Solaris81,

Thanks for your post.

I'm really sorry that you've had a Netflix charge on your account and your contract has been extended. That's not what we'd expect to happen at all.

I would be happy to take a look at your account to make sure the contract is as it should be.

I will pop you a private message now.

Thanks

Melissa 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Netflix fraud update + "paused sports" now being classed as "unpaid from last bill"

I thought I'd give an update on my horrible experience with Virgin Media over the past few months. After being a victim of the Netflix fraud that i'm told is fairly common on here, I contacted VM directly, who then told me I need to contact Netflix to sort out the problem as the "account" was with them. Contacted netflix and had the fraudelent account cancelled but told I needed to contact VM again to remove the charge.

Did that, was told it would be removed, then later I received the confirmation e-mail that I posted about in here which mentioned "changes to my account" the removal of netflix, and that my account term had 12 months remaining, this was despite being in the final month of my 12 month contract.

I was furious and made 3 seperate attempts to contact VM and was cut off each time after approx 1 hour waits. I cancelled my direct debit with my bank. Shortly after a user on here "Melissa_F" contacted me to tell me she checked my account and there wasn't 12 months remaining, I showed her the email and she said she had no idea why it was showing what it was clearly showing, but gaurenteed me that it was wrong.

Happy with that i re-enabled the direct debit with my bank. I was sent a bill from VM which i had to clear to enable the direct debit. It was for my usual price minus the sports which i'd previously "opted in" to pausing, plus the price of netflix which hadn't been removed. 

This month after receiving another e-mail saying i'd linked my netflix account to VM again, i went through the same process with netflix and had the account cancelled, which was the same account as before, this time they gave me the option of changing the account email and password so i can take control of it at least until VM sort it out.

Well now i have this months bill, which still includes netflix, no credit to remove last months charge, and also includes a £27 charge for "charges not paid on last bill". The charges being the sky sports and bt sports bundle that was "paused".

To sum things up and cut a long story short. VM have not only let me down completely for 2 months regarding fraudulent activity on my account, caused confusion and mistrust by sending innacurate e-mails, they now are trying to charge me for the sky/bt sports package saving i was supposed to have on my last bill.

This is easily the worst service I've ever experienced from such a large company.

I suggest other people that have paused their sports packages check to see if their savings from last month have transferred over to this months bill as an unpaid charge, just in case it's not just me getting this special treatment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix fraud update + "paused sports" now being classed as "unpaid from last bill"

Hi Solaris81,

I've taken a look at the details, can you log into your online account and check the "charges and credits" section? That section doesn't only include charges abut credits also. Is there a "CR" on there?

I can confirm that Netflix isn't billed in advance but if you're still being billed for Netflix we need to see what is going on. Can you try logging into your Netflix account and select "update payment method"? Also be sure to sign out of Netflix (if still signed in) on your TV Box.

Then can you clear your TV Box's cache (it won't delete anything) by pressing on your remote - Home - Thumbs down - Thumbs up-Play-Play-Play. 

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos