Menu
Andi69
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Apple ID

Had a message that my Apple ID was being used by a new device, but nothing shows up in my settings. 

Akso, my number seems to have been spoofed

How worried should I be 😩

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apple ID

Think you might have to go into a bit more detail about this if you want to receive any useful help or suggestions on here.

What form did you get the Apple ID warning message? An email? There are plenty of fake spam/scam emails circulating in that regard.

When you say your 'number seems to have been spoofed' what do you mean? Your number (landline? mobile?) has been used as a fake caller ID for scam calls? The usual complaint on here is that people whose numbers have been misused receive irate call backs from recipients of the scam callers. Is that what you mean?

0 Kudos
Andi69
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your response.

My phone and my iPad are both linked to my Apple account, no other devices.

Last night a message appeared on my iPad saying that a new device had been added. My only option was to respond ‘OK’ and the message disappeared with no more information.  I checked on my Apple settings that no other devices had been added - none had.

The issue was on my mind today, but as I’d checked no other device had been added I hit a wall of information. 

Today a gentleman phoned me saying he was returning my call which he received from my mobile number 12 minutes previously. I explained that I had not used my phone at all this morning. 

I have again just checked my Apple account and no other device has been added and the IMEI on the account matches my phone. 

My number has been spoofed, so am expecting further ‘return’ calls in the next few days. My main worry is the iPad message I received. 

Am grateful for any advice. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think you'll need an Apple expert on here to comment on this in detail. I have an Apple ID linked to an Apple TV but nothing more than that so I'm no expert on Apple. However, make of the following what you will ...

There seems to be a few online mentions on the popup message aspect (and going back in time too) which is mainly the same cut/paste article across various sites which offer some innocent explanations for the message.

Example below

https://www.techtelegraph.co.uk/your-apple-id-and-phone-number-are-being-used-on-another-device-what...

but I can't say how reliable or accurate the information is so read/use at your own risk. You could see if any of that fits with your situation. You could also log a query with Apple support to see if they can clarify. Are both the iPad and iPhone in regular use?

Other online references mention checking your Apple ID to make sure that no other unrecognised contact information (emails or phone numbers) have been added into the Apple ID. You could log in to the Apple ID website and double check that too. Does anyone else legitimately know/have access to your Apple ID?

Aside from that you could change your Apple ID password/security questions and enable 2FA to give yourself some further reassurance.

The business of real phone numbers being used for fake caller ID in scam calls has been increasingly mentioned on the VM forums. So much so, that the moderators on here now edit and remove phone numbers when they are posted in case they are real and turn out to belong to a real/innocent party.

The fact that both the phone call and Apple message happened close together means you are wise to be wary.

Hopefully someone with some in-depth Apple knowledge can add more. In the meantime I guess you need to keep vigilant in case anything else unexpected crops up to give concern.

0 Kudos
Andi69
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your help. I will indeed follow your advice. 

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can't say anything about to authenticity of the Apple message without seeing it, but if it was me I would consider going into my Apple ID and doing the following:

1. Change your password.
2. Turn on two factor authentication.

The new device option could just be a reaction to a change of IP address, for example if you've signed in to a wifi hotspot, but I know when I get them they're usually accompanied with Geo-IP information.

With 2fa when you accept the device the display switches to show a passcode to enter on to that device.

Regarding your number being spoofed, some of the dodgy outfits doing the rounds spoof numbers all the time, including random mobile numbers.  The technology was originally meant to allow centralised calling for companies, my own company used to spoof our number so that when someone checked, they got directed to a number appearing to be from the people we were calling on behalf of.  As per usual, scammers were quick to figure out how to abuse this mechanism.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos