Menu
FldBllnst2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any concerns about nearby routers with different country codes ? (Not GB but DE and BE)

Can't seem to persuade VM to investigate this, but one of my computers suggested these "foreign" routers might affect the security of my WIFI. Whether by accident or design I do not know but I have been spooked to find networks with the same sequence of numbers as mine but with _EXT or (space)2 at the end. (Deleted when found).

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any concerns about nearby routers with different country codes ? (Not GB but DE and BE)

so whats the question?

There is no known security problems with the hubs
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Any concerns about nearby routers with different country codes ? (Not GB but DE and BE)

I don't think there's any cause for concern. Which program is flagging up these warnings?

Some devices legitimately send out a different country code, eg. ASUS Router sold in Europe transmit the "DE" country code but there's nothing suspicious about it.

Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

same sequence of numbers as mine” where? Do you mean the SSID name being transmitted or do you mean the routers DNS name. Both can be anything.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
FldBllnst2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That was a comment from a Network toubleshooter on an elderly Mac. Incidentally, adding to my unease, I decided yesterday to check and if needed, update the router after reading an article in your help forum, only then to find out the router password doesn't work!  Can a router (Hub 3?) be reset? Would a newer one be more secure?. Thanks for any advice

0 Kudos
FldBllnst2
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The unknown router(s?) had the same VM SSID as ours but with either _EXT appended or [ ]2 (space2)

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@FldBllnst2 wrote:

The unknown router(s?) had the same VM SSID as ours but with either _EXT appended

I used a Netgear Wifi Extender for a while and it did exactly what you describe - created a new SSID with same name as mine but with _EXT at the end.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
FldBllnst2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How about a link from Norton Security when you haven't requested one?

0 Kudos
FldBllnst2
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's fair enough if it's your network to extend. Have just noticed 5 out of the 7 numbers in out VM SSID and a near neighbour's match up exactly (i.e. position and value!). I wonder if this is just an important coincidence?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@FldBllnst2 wrote:

Yes, that's fair enough if it's your network to extend. Have just noticed 5 out of the 7 numbers in out VM SSID and a near neighbour's match up exactly (i.e. position and value!). I wonder if this is just an important coincidence?

_EXT is an extender. It is quite possible to have nearly matching SSIDs if the hubs have similar serial numbers & were issued at around the same time. However, even if the SSIDs were deliberately set the same, unless both hubs have the same network password they would not be able to access each other’s connections.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks