Menu
Alfredmanneruk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Already active account using my address wth

Ok this is now gone on for  1 year and an on going matter that useless VM can not do anything to help. I've moved to this address and I am actually the owner of this property, (purchased not rented)  for the past two years, I've noticed that I've been getting offers addressed to some next person's name, assuming they were the previous owner many years back (since the property was in disrepair and vacant many years before I brought it) I just ignored it until last year when I wanted to apply for a VM, TV, Broadband and Mobile service. At first I was told noting can be done as it is only one account per address, eventually after trying to talk to VM customer service for many months at the start of February i thought I was getting somewhere.

Basically the team said that they will file a gone away request and if the account holder don't get back to them within 14 days the account will be closed, now for the first stupidness, VM sent a request to the address on file, lol this means the letter will not reach the account holder as I've been endlessly saying, THIS PERSON DOES NOT LIVE HERE, so stupid, anyway, after a month I placed an order online only to receive an email saying "there is already an active line at this address and so my order can not be processed" since throughout March I've been trying to get a hold of VM CS and it's been really crap because of the covid-19 situation. Apparently nobody from Virgin media can access the old account holders contact number to give him a call and ask him to stop using my address otherwise he'll get hurt. I was told another "gone away" request will be sent to the old account holder, and I was told to wait another 14 days, you guessed it, another letter was sent to me addressed to the old account holder, how stupid it that? It only takes 2 minutes to give the guy a call and have him update the address on his account, I mean it's also for Virgin media own protection as if this person fails to keep up with payments, any debt collectors will be sent to the wrong address.

Hope someone here with any actual authority can help.

For the records, I will upload the letters I've received blanking out any personal information from the account holder. (Because I'm a nice person) for the team to see how ridiculously frustrating this is.

Alfredmanneruk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Already active account using my address wth

Untitled21.jpg

Untitled11.jpg

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Morning Alfredmanneruk,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our Community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've had in trying to get Virgin services and file the Gone Away. 

I've popped you over a private message so I can take a closer look at this for you, keep your eyes out for the purple envelope in the top right hand corner.

Alex_Rm

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The source of the image was not private; it was in your public album. Just type the requested details into the PM.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Alfredmanneruk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for clarifying that, unfortunately that is not normal, I didn't create this platform so I wouldn't have known that all image exchanged in both public post and PM are all stored in public album. In 30 years of posting on fourm this was the first time I come across that and I believe it is wrong of VM to automatically make me an Public album let alone put all images into a public folder without even consenting me if that album should be private or public.

I would therefore like to request VM community admin review this and make the necessary changes to make this platform better.

0 Kudos
Alfredmanneruk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It's been a week and still no update nor have the situation changed, now I have this guy's account info and even the phone call I made to VM, if a man is pushed enough his capable of anything, now I know there are a lot of review website that review broadband providers, and also lots of social media platforms, if this is not getting me anywhere, my next step is to spread the word of how horrible VM customer service truly is, I've got the likes of talktalk, BT falling at my feet trying to provide me their services yet the company I've worked for 5 years are doing this to me. I've emailed VM, spoken to the technical team, the back team, the pre-installation team, just about every team available and it appears VM are locked out of this account holders contact information. That is something else. And now I've even tied the online community support to no avail.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Consider exercising your rights under the GDPR to have inaccurate personal data rectified, or completed if it is incomplete, by emailing Virgin Media's Data Protection Team dpo@virginmedia.co.uk;  if they fail to respond within 28 days raise the matter with the ICO.

Alfredmanneruk
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I shall do that, thank you so much for the help, respects

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

In your pursuit for a resolution to this problem, and by opening a communication addressed to a third party, you are (inadvertently) in breach of the Postal Services Act 2000, Section 84. 
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/part/V/crossheading/offences-of-interfering-with-the-mai...

84 Interfering with the mail: general.

(1)A person commits an offence if, without reasonable excuse, he—

(a)intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or

(b)intentionally opens a mail-bag.

(2)Subsections (2) to (5) of section 83 apply to subsection (1) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

(4)Subsections (2) and (3) of section 83 (so far as they relate to the opening of postal packets) apply to subsection (3) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(5)A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (3) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.

Whether you have acted to the detriment of and without reasonable excuse is open to interpretation, but in future you should really err on the side of caution.

The guidance from Royal Mail is "If you receive mail intended for another person, such as a previous owner, it should be returned by marking the envelope No Longer at this Address, please Return to Sender" and placing it in any postbox.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

Consider exercising your rights under the GDPR to have inaccurate personal data rectified, or completed if it is incomplete, by emailing Virgin Media's Data Protection Team dpo@virginmedia.co.uk;  if they fail to respond within 28 days raise the matter with the ICO.

But surely VM aren't holding any personal data if he's not a customer so it can't be a GDPR matter.

0 Kudos