Menu
beltojr
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Action required your online security is at risk

Hi i have received two letters within the last month that state my email address has sent spam email's reference number VMIS42-F008303158 

I take my internet security very seriously and have all my devices protected by F secure (recomended by virgin media).

I have already followed the advice in the letter but still do not know if my account is secure as a Virginmedia Engineer changed my router shortly before I started getting the letters which didn't cure my loss of internet (This which was traced to a faulty cabinet which I told them was the cause at the start and has finally been repaired in the road after loads of visits and weeks of no internet).

But unless i use the paid option on the website or obtain more information about this security issue which doesn't appear to exist as I am still able to access my account and emails ok or is this a scam by Virgin media to extract even more money from their customers.

I am not over impressed with Virgin Media and will be leaving them when I can if this is not resolved.

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Action required your online security is at risk

Hi beltojr,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry your email has been found to be sending spam emails. 

As long as you follow all the instructions within the letter, then this will be secure. Our team monitor these situations and will let you know if there is anything further that needs to be done. 

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
beltojr
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My main concern is the new router may be the reason I have been with Virgin Media for years and never had any problems before I thought F secure was supposed to protect me against attacks I never open emails i don't recognise and know how to check the sender is genuine by checking the address links. 

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me.

In what way do you mean the hub could be the problem here? 

Regards,

Melissa

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The only reason I can think that the Hub change may have caused the issue is the change of external IP address that the hub swap would have caused.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
beltojr
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply the new hub came with a new network name and password i haven't changed this to my own details 

0 Kudos
beltojr
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham 

I was thinking along the same lines it it secure or not but without any information about what has caused the letters to be sent I don't know I think Virgin need to up their game and run internal checks so that the problems can be identified. My gut reaction is that they are just after more money as the website directs you to paying someone to resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@beltojr wrote:

My gut reaction is that they are just after more money as the website directs you to paying someone to resolve the problem.

A conspiratorial strategy or negligent in communicating third party security notice to customers; the latter would seem the more likely given past forum posts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks