Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Access to account after divorce

I am assisting my sister in leaving an abusive relationship. She has a Virgin email account which a large amount of email goes to, having used it for a number of years. As she has now left the relationship, she needs access to the documents and emails in the account. However, her ex-partner has changed the password and denies her access.

We have contacted Virgin, who have refused to help and offer no advice other than to contact everybody who sends emails to that account (a practical impossibility), and other no advice about the existing documents and information left in the account.

Does anybody know how access can be gained, or have any more constructive advice than we have had so far?

Thanks;

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Access to account after divorce

nothing VM can do. The email address is not her. It belongs to the account holder.

There is nothing that can be done. The advice from VM is correcg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@sjc071 wrote:

I am assisting my sister in leaving an abusive relationship. She has a Virgin email account which a large amount of email goes to, having used it for a number of years. As she has now left the relationship, she needs access to the documents and emails in the account. However, her ex-partner has changed the password and denies her access.

We have contacted Virgin, who have refused to help and offer no advice other than to contact everybody who sends emails to that account (a practical impossibility), and other no advice about the existing documents and information left in the account.

Does anybody know how access can be gained, or have any more constructive advice than we have had so far?

Thanks;

The answer depends on who the account holder was.  If you sister was the account holder then she should be able to control what happens to the email account and its contents.  However, if her ex-partner was the account holder then the ex has control over the account and there is, sadly, nothing that Virgin Media can do to help.

Perhaps a salutatory lesson for anyone reading when setting up email addresses linked to ISP accounts controlled by the account holder.   

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Terms and conditions, section D, point 6 states:

D. Virgin Broadband

6. Any email address allocated by us to you will at all times belong to us and you may not transfer the address to any person.  If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you.  Please see our acceptable use policy for more detail on email address usage and our Help and Support page (by clicking here) on what happens to your email when you leave us.

Further more the acceptable use policy, section 6, point 1.1, states:

6. Your responsibilities - content/material

6.1.1. material that is threatening, harassing, invasive of privacy, discriminatory, defamatory, racist, obscene, indecent, offensive, abusive, harmful or malicious;

It could be argued (IMHO) that as the email address belongs to Virgin Media and was for your sole use the circumstance now is invasive to your privacy, abusive, and/or harmful and thus in breach of the above point. The merit in such an argument is debatable and the likelihood of its success untested.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I hope it turns out okay for your sister.  Before you go any further (although I don't want to give the ex-partner any ideas) - check he/she hasn't deleted it completely!  Run the address through https://mailtester.com to see if the mailbox is still in VM's server.  The contents could still be deleted by the account holder, of course.

Does your sister have any old devices (phone/PC/tablet/laptop) that she may have used to access the email account?  Disconnect them from the internet and check if there is anything still loaded in the email client that can be saved/backed up.

Has she tried using the forgotten password route?  If ex-partner has not changed the security questions that might work. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-username-and-password

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am really sorry, I have read your posts sjc071,  but i do need to ask, can you please clarify if the Virgin Media account is in the name of your sister, or her ex partner's name?  It does sound as though it's the latter.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos