Menu
VMUserJM
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

AVG DNS hijack

Hello,

I have a problem with my Hub 3.0 router. My AVG software is saying it has found a DNS hijack.

DNS Hijack foundDNS Hijack foundimage2.png

The 'how to fix' options direct  me to the Hub 3.0 router settings where apparently I need to reset my DNS. However Virgin Media technical support are unable to do this and say it's not possible for me to do either.  They said it's a scam and there is no problem on my router or any other connected device.

I'm not sure if this something I can safely ignore or need to fix? If anyone has experienced this problem or is able to advise /reassure me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

0 Kudos
VMUserJM
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

AVG DNS hijack found

Hello,

I have a problem with my Hub 3.0 router. My AVG software is saying it has found a DNS hijack.

image0.gif

image1.png

image2.png

The 'how to fix' options direct  me to the Hub 3.0 router settings where apparently I need to reset my DNS. However Virgin Media technical support are unable to do this and say it's not possible for me to do eiter.  They said it's a scam and there is no problem on my router or any other connected device.

I'm not sure if this something I can safely ignore or need to fix? If anyone has experienced this problem or is able to advise /reassure me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: AVG DNS hijack

Hello

This is caused by the Virginmedia Advanced Search, which will try and guess if you type in the wrong address you can turn it off at https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
VMUserJM
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you DJ, that certainly sounds less worrying!

Having followed the link, this option is currently sent to "No - I would not like to use the advanced network error search".

Search.gif

I will try to phone them and double check that this setting is actually switched off.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If it says no then it is turned off.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos