Menu
Highlighted
bushey11
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

I have received  the following official letter from Virginmedia Internet secruity from their address in Swansea. I have run AVG free version and Malware and have found nothing.  No detailed information was given. I have Window PC ipad and iphone, my daughter has a mac laptop

Would this be a fake letter assuming not what further action should I take. Is it likely I will be contacted again.

Can anyone offer any help

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Virgin Media account number: 22 - 81X81X80X

Our reference: VMIS82 -Spambot -F0077399965

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

Dear Mr xxxxx,

We’ve been notified that spam email are coming from a device using your internet connection We don’t know which device, but it does mean your personal data and online financial transactions, including any credit card purchases, could be at risk.

Its likely that device connected to your broadband is infected with malware. This probably isn’t your fault, but its important you get your device fixed so the malicious traffic is stopped asap. Well help you do this below

We need to let you know if you don't get it fixed, to protect others we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service in line with our Acceptable Use Policy

What to do next

We recommend using anti-virus software to scan and clean up your devices. There are a number of trusted anti-virus software options available if you don’t have one already.

For help with this, please visit virginmedia.com/spambot

As well as using anti-virus software, Web Safe is available for free to Virgin Fibre customers to help protect you against malware and viruses. Full details can be found by signing in to Your Account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and going to My Apps.

More help and support

For extra advice, or to double-check that this is a genuine Virgin Media communication, head to our community at virginmedia.com/community, click 'Help forum' and join the conversation on the Security Matters board.

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

Did you receive a letter or email because it is odd to see the text URL virginmedia.com/spambot not reflected in the underlying URL http://virginmedia.com/malware. Crucially the prior provides the following assurance:

Email Spambot alert

How do I know I’m now safe?
If you have followed the above advice & have rescanned your device and found it to be clean, you should have resolved the issue.

Whilst the letter/email content does appear authentic you will need to wait for a forum team member to confirm this. In the meantime do consider following the Email Spambot alert advice and should nothing be found you can probably conclude it was a false positive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bushey11
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I received a letter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @bushey11

Welcome to our Community Forums and for your first post.

This does indeed look like a genuine letter that we would send to the named account holder. You would find that the account number matches your account number also. 

However, I am unable to locate anything from the reference number in the letter so we'd like to take a closer look for you 🙂 

We've not been able to locate the account from your forum information so I have popped you a Private Message so we can take some information securely and go through security.

Please look out for the Purple Envelope in the top right of our Forum pages and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos