Menu
LongServing
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A device using your Internet connection is infected with malware

VM have sent me three e-mails and two snail mail letters with this heading since October 20th. My IT consultant and I are at a loss to know what to do next about this allegation.

My IT consultant has done a full virus scan, a vulnerability scan, and a packet test. I have done antivirus scans (using Sophos) on all our three machines - the most active of which has just been rebuilt around a new drive, so no lingering malware there.

It is difficult to determine an issue when we have not had any alerts or details on any malware. We need further guidance as we are seeing nothing. There are no new devices on the system. We would like to know where these alerts are coming from please - we think we are entitled to know.

I have been a customer of VM for 15 years and I think I deserve more help than more I’m getting (zilch so far).

Since November 1, I have written to the VM CEO about my concerns about the vagueness of VM’s letters (no reply) , raised a complaint with your complaints department, (no satisfactory response) and consulted the legal team at the Federation of Small Business of which I’m a member (case number13223759). I have waited for more than two hours in total for VM technical assistance -and couldn’t get through.

So far no one at VM wants to engage with us to try and help us do more than what we are doing. Please, forum or Forum team, can somebody help? The situation is worrying and distressing.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: A device using your Internet connection is infected with malware

Flagged to the forum team who are best placed to provide the requested information; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

Out of curiosity, was the malware name mentioned in any of the notices?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
LongServing
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for taking an interest and flagging my letter, which as a newbie, I may or may not have succeeded in doing. No malware is named in the letters. They just say "malicious traffic has been detected coming from a device using your internet connection". I'm sure its a standard letter which others who come on this forum, bewildered like me, have also received. The VM ref number on the letters includes (consecutively) VMIS60, VMIS61, and VMIS62 but I doubt whether that means anything.

Once again, thank you very much for taking an interest and flagging it.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @LongServing

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for  your first post - I am sorry if you have had some concerns over a communication we have sent regarding some malware. Unfortunately, we don't have any access to any more information other that what is listed in the letter I'm afraid. 

All we can advise is that our security systems have detected a malware coming from a device connected to your Hub. This has been confirmed to not be a clone. 

We will of course past your information onto our Internet Security team for you to see if they can supply any further details. If we hear back from them, we'll be sure to keep you posted. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
LongServing
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Katie. Thanks for prompt answer. Its interesting that you say "our security systems have detected etc." In VM's first e-mail to me they said "We have been notified by a third party that malicious traffic has been detected" etc. Can you please tell me which is true: Are these reports from a third party Internet monitoring organisation (if so, who please) or have VM now done their own security monitoring. After six weeks of this saga, we are still waiting for someone to give us a steer e.g. a port number? As I said, we have done a vulnerability scan, several virus checks and a packet test and we can't find anything. We have received no complaints ourselves about anything coming from us, other than the VM complaint.

Would be grateful for anything further you can do to help us.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @LongServing

Sorry for any confusion - they are a 3rd party that do the scanning; however when reading the notes on the account we always refer to the checks that we have done - as bit like the "royal" we in that context I suppose!

So, in the meantime, I have had a reply from our Internet Security team about your request for more information. I'll pop  you a Private Message so we can go through security and I can pass on their findings to see if they help you in anyway. 

Look out for the Purple Envelope and pop me a reply when you can.

Cheers!

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @LongServing

Thanks for your Private Message - I have responded with the Internet Security reply; this was longer than our character count so goes over 7 messages (sorry about that)

If you have any questions, pop back and we'll do what we can to help and so will the Community.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos