Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A device on my home network may be infected with "gumblar" malware

Hi, I received an email from my internet provider, saying a device using my internet connection may be infected with malware.

This is the contents of the email....
We’ve been alerted that one or more of the devices you use to go on the internet is infected with malicious software (malware).We don’t know which device, but it does mean your personal data and online financial transactions, including any credit card purchases, could be at risk.

This probably isn’t your fault, but we do need you to make some changes now to ensure your data remains safe and secure.We’ll help you do that.

How we found the problem

To protect our customers, we work with a number of not-for-profit organisations that gather information about internet connections that appear to be at risk of things like malware infections. On 17 November 2020, one detected that "gumblar", a piece of malware, was present on a device using your internet connection.

What to do next

We recommend using anti-virus software to scan and clean up your devices. There are a number of trusted anti-virus software options available if you don’t have one already.

I phoned my internet provider and they confirmed this email is genuine.

This is what I have done so far to try to remove this malware..

I opened Windows "Virus & Threat Protection" and ran a Full scan. No threats found

Then I installed latest version MalwarBytes 4 and ran a scan with “Rootkits” option enabled. No threats found.

So looks like my laptop running Windows 10 is OK. There is an android phone and iPad at home but none of these devices have had any apps side loaded, all aps have been installed from the play store and apple store.

I did an online search and found a couple of mentions on this forum about this malware called "Gumblar", where it was suggested that the Virgin Media Wireless Router was the source of this problem, and resetting the wireless router or hub, to factory settings would be a solution.

This post mentions doing factory reset on the wireless router...

"Just to give the thread a quick update;

I dropped the OP a private message. The response from the OP tells me this has now been resolved via our IT team, with a factory reset on the hub also performed

Kindest regards,

David_Bn"

I have tried to contact Virgin Media technical support but the reply is automated with no option to speak to someone to help me.

Can someone advise the best way to speak to someone in technical support to assist me?

My questions are...

Q1. If in fact the router is infected, how to fix it?

Q2. Once fixed, how can I check that my internet connection is now safe to use?

Q3. How did the wireless router get infected in the first place, and how to prevent any repeated infection?

Any help or advice would be apprecitated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: A device on my home network may be infected with "gumblar" malware

Issue has been flagged to the forum team who are best placed to take this forward; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

FYI: the post referred to by Win1 can be found here, Re: Malware warning via email

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Win1,

Welcome to the Community Forum.

I'm sorry to hear that you recently received a malware alert notification, I can appreciate that these can be quite concerning. I'm glad to hear that you've already ran some anti-virus software through your device, although I appreciate that nothing was detected on your end.

In order to find out further information as to what triggered the alert, I will need to get in touch with our Internet Security team. 

I'm going to drop you over a PM now so I can take some further details. Check out the purple envelope for a message from me.

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re. the above post -
I received an email from someone in the Virgin forum team last Sunday 22nd November to say my problem would be passed onto the Virgin Internet Security team and they would get back to me when they had some information. I emailed back on Wednesday to ask for an update but haven't heard anything. I am quite concerned about using the internet because of the warning about security that was on the original email from Virgin Media on the 19th November. Any help to resolve this issue would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos