Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

5th Malware letter

Every 6 weeks or so I receive one of these - But I am at a loss to correct the problem, if it exists. I have 3 MacOs machines, with Norton Security on each, plus an iPad, 2 iPhones, 3 Apple TVs. 

Also a Google NEST home heating control, and 5 SONOS products. 

A Netgear Nighthawk router. 

Having run scans on the MacBooks when the letters first arrived, and since, I don't know where else the traffic could be coming from. 

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received. 

Our Reference: VMIS128-NETWORKATTACKS-F008589838

Please take action now: a device using your internet connection is infected with malware

We’ve now been alerted on five separate occasions that malicious traffic is coming from a device using your internet connection.

This suggests a device on your home network is being used to make unauthorised access attempts on other computer systems, and potentially participate in other kinds of online abuse.

It's important you get your device fixed so the malicious traffic is stopped as soon as possible. We’ll help you do this below.

We need to let you know that if you don’t get it fixed, to protect others we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service in line with our Acceptable Use Policy. 

ETC. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 5th Malware letter

Do you have the guest network turned on within the Virginmedia router?
What about the free wifi settings? Perhaps a third party is connecting for free & this is causing the malware notification.

Check the IP address &/or name of each connected device.

On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Anankha wrote:

Do you have the guest network turned on within the Virginmedia router?
What about the free wifi settings? Perhaps a third party is connecting for free & this is causing the malware notification.

Check the IP address &/or name of each connected device.

Doesn't the guest network functionality use a completely different network (incl. WAN address?) 

Agree though, assuming you're using the hub in modem mode and are using the Nighthawk as a router, log into the nighthawk and review all of the clients that are connected - look for anything that you don't recognise - you seem to know what should be connected to the network, validate that only those items are connected and there aren't any "unknown" devices on the network - if there are, investigate what they are - if necessary, block the MAC address of the unknown device so that it's not able to connect to the network.

Another option would be to change your WiFi password and re-connect all of your devices.. 

Unfortunately, the notification from VM isn't particularly helpful, it doesn't tell you *what* malware is being detected, which might enable you to narrow the search somewhat..

Are you the sole user of the network? Any kids that might be getting up to things that they shouldn't? 🙂

Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It should do but it’s worth considering if all other avenues have been checked out.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much - I do periodically check the devices  list on the Nighthawk - In the past there have been grandsons and airbnb guests etc briefly connected, so I thought it might be coming from one of them, but now in lockdown, I'm still getting the letters. 

I'll have another root through. Good place to start. Then maybe change the network passwords. 

However Virgin only complain about the malware  once every 5 or 5 weeks, so it's difficult to know what has worked. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos