Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

10 character password limit

I had to change my password today due to a suspected breach. This, in its self, is a problem but not the problem I need answering today.

QUOTE: The longer the password is, the less likely it is that someone else will be able to guess it or otherwise find out what it is.

On your password help page you can find the above quote, so I am at a loss as to why I am limited to a 10 character password. Most of my passwords are 15+ characters and are easy for me to remember but hard to guess,s this limit is forcing me to change my typical password assigning behaviour.

I understand that a 10 character password may well be secure but why limit this at all? Why not allow unlimited password character?  On the face of it, this limit seems pointless and purposefully infuriating.

Is there a valid reason for a 10 character limit??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 10 character password limit

Users have been complaining about the lack of security with passwords - limited to 10 characters & no special characters can be used.

Unfortunately nothing has been done.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

unless there is a legal requirement or pressure from the regulator, companies can choose which method they want. i know a forum that only uses 7 underscore letters.

many threads talking about the password issue over the years on here. you aren't the first.....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@jamesofmerton wrote:
unless there is a legal requirement or pressure from the regulator, companies can choose which method they want. i know a forum that only uses 7 underscore letters.

many threads talking about the password issue over the years on here. you aren't the first.....

I would think a password that requires all the characters to be underscored would be very safe.  How one would go about entering it I can't imagine.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Easy, enter in a doc/txt editor and cut and paste. I like characters like ô and û !

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos