Menu
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

1 Billion Nuisance Calls Made to People in the UK in 2021

New data from caller ID verification firm Hiya has reported that over 1 billion nuisance calls (e.g. silent calls, spam or frauds) have been made to people in the United Kingdom in 2021 so far and, more worrying perhaps, nuisance call volumes are currently increasing at a rate of 30% every month.

At present, nuisance call volumes are up 308% year-on-year since March 2020 and there have already been a total of 435.4 million calls so far this month. Just to put all this into some context, the first quarter of 2021 alone equals 56% of the 2020 full-year total.

Full article at ispreview.co.uk 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1 Billion Nuisance Calls Made to People in the UK in 2021

@newapollo wrote:

New data from caller ID verification firm Hiya has reported that over 1 billion nuisance calls (e.g. silent calls, spam or frauds) have been made to people in the United Kingdom in 2021 so far and, more worrying perhaps, nuisance call volumes are currently increasing at a rate of 30% every month.

At present, nuisance call volumes are up 308% year-on-year since March 2020 and there have already been a total of 435.4 million calls so far this month. Just to put all this into some context, the first quarter of 2021 alone equals 56% of the 2020 full-year total.

Full article at ispreview.co.uk 

In a recent video from anti-scam YouTuber 'Jim Browning', he describes one single call centre, operated by just 7 people, which he claims was generating about 100 calls per second. Not hard to reach 1 billion+ calls at those sort of call rates!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1 Billion Nuisance Calls Made to People in the UK in 2021

@goslow wrote:

@newapollo wrote:

..........................nuisance call volumes are currently increasing at a rate of 30% every month.

The really scary thing is that a growth rate like that gives an indication of how lucrative this 'line of business' is and how easy it is for the scammers to set up and operate it.

A day or two ago I said in another thread that I have become aware in the last few months just how many of my friends and family have given up on their landline. Some have gone with operators who offer cheap broadband with no landline and a few still have landline in their package but just don't have any phones plugged in.

A common factor driving that move was that, for obvious reasons, most of them have been at home for long periods over the last year and it has highlighted to them just how many nuisance calls their landlines were getting during the daytime.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos