Menu
Fatboyslimfast
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

07445 576718 scam text

I am a concerned that after only two days placing my order to move my broadband and phone from BT to VM I received my first scam text message. See below:

Screenshot_20210605-063014.pngScreenshot_20210605-063040.pngScreenshot_20210605-063115.png

Seemed legit at fist, but then the poor grammar and asking for personal details set alarms ringing. 🚨

I've received a further similar text message again from the same number and have now blocked it.

But as I said at the start, it's worrying that after two days someone has got my mobile number and matched this as a Virgin Media customer - I haven't even transferred yet.

Is there a serious security flaw somewhere?

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 07445 576718 scam text

It's a legitimate virgin number

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/07445576718-text-number-is-genuine/m-p/4442837...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Fatboyslimfast
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

To be on the safe side I rang the 0345 number in the text and they said they didn't require any more information from me.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Fatboyslimfast

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for  your first post - I was sorry to understand that one of our text messages has come across as a scam. As our VIP @dannylau has advised, this is a legitimate Virgin Media number. 

When joining us and wanting to bring a number from another provider, we do on occasion require some confirmation and we have been using Text messaging to do that. It means customers can reply at their leisure and are not interrupted by a telephone call.

I have located your account from your forum information and I can see that there are notes to confirm the text was genuine - I can only apologise if who you spoke with advised otherwise. As I predicted, it was to confirm the number you wish to port over to us. 

I'll pop you a Private Message now so we can go through security and I can update the information needed. Please look out for the Purple Envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Fatboyslimfast
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Katie,

I don't understand - I rang the 0345 number they said they had all the information you needed.

And when I asked if this is a normal way of communicating - they didn't really know and didn't confirm this was a legit number when I informed your call centre staff member.

I'm on PAYG phone so I won't be communicating via text and especially when someone asks me for my personal details. 

I haven't received any direct message from you either.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Fatboyslimfast

I am sorry that you have been advised as such - the notes on the account are very clear. I can also see the notes from the agent you chatted with and have already fed this back internally for you as the notes are directly below her own. 

You should have a PM from me in the top right of the page - it will be indicated by a purple envelope 🙂 

Once we have passed security, I can discuss your account in more detail

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos