cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin media via ofnl

jward2503
On our wavelength

We currently live just on the border of a newly installed virgin media network. It's either side of our street, our street is currently serviced only by ofnl. I'm wondering if there is any way to get virgin media down our estate. It seems virgin media is missing out on a large revenue as once the estate is fully completed there will be around 150+ houses.

Seemingly ofnl have an agreement with vm so they can lay cable down ofnl ducts. My postcode is yo12 4nl.

12 REPLIES 12

jward2503
On our wavelength

We currently live just on the border of a newly installed virgin media network. It's either side of our street, our street is currently serviced only by ofnl. I'm wondering if there is any way to get virgin media down our estate. It seems virgin media is missing out on a large revenue as once the estate is fully completed there will be around 150+ houses.

Seemingly ofnl have an agreement with vm so they can lay cable down ofnl ducts. My postcode is yo12 4nl.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What does the OFNL postcode checker say

https://www.ofnl.co.uk/residents/#postcode-lookup

and the VM postcode checker?

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/postcode-checker

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should stick to just the one topic you have in 'Quick Start' as multi-posting the same issue causes a lot of confusion, and possible time wasted, for anyone trying to reply. The VM forum team don't regularly reply here in 'Community Natter'. They reply more reliably in 'Quick Start'

jward2503
On our wavelength

Says on ofnl we can get 360mbps. Weirdly virgin media is listed under the residential service providers list. 

virgin media checker says our services aren’t available in your area. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I haven't read any detailed info on OFNL but, from the little I have read, they seem to act as an infrastructure provider i.e. similar to Openreach where OFNL install the fibre to homes and providers can use it to carry their services. I have seen it mentioned on here before for new-build estates.

If VM has not installed its own infrastructure in your street then you may need to go via OFNL to get VM.

One of the VM forum team will reply here within a few days and may be able to tell you more or you may get further info from one of the other forum users who knows about OFNL

jward2503
On our wavelength

Any virgin media representative that can shed some light on this please? 

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jward2503 thanks for getting back to us.

When checking the postcode you've provided on our internal checker, our system does not recognise it as a 'valid UK postcode'.  Which usually means we've not been provided the details of that street by the Royal Mail etc.  How long ago was the works on that close by estate?  As historically when a new street was being cabled there'd be a board with contact details etc for the team whom were overseeing new cabled areas.

Regards

Lee_R

Have also checked for you, if half a street is serviceable, this could be part of VM’s “spotter” process, it hasn’t been analysed as far as I know 🙂

I do work for VM, however all opinions are my own
Setup:
2x360 Boxes
Hub 5
Ultimate Bundle

jward2503
On our wavelength

Thanks for the response. The estate is around 3 years old. Our postcode and address is picked up by most places such as the dvla ect. I did give the right postcode? YO12 4NL

The street is mustang road and unsure if there is virgin media cabling down it. The Main Street at the top of our estate (stoney haggs rd) has virgin media availability. The village recently went live with virgin media in the past month I’d say. Plenty of grey cabinets around the area and equipment on poles. 

I'm presuming our estate has no plans to be cabled then? I would have thought since open fibre networks have an agreement with virgin media that they would be laying their fibres down ofnl’s ducts.