Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

virgin media infrastructure

Hi,

My landlord who pays for the wifi has the most expensive and fastest internet package that money can buy for this area. The internet has high download and upload and fairly standard jitter/packet loss. However, when gaming or streaming we experience lag that seems to be due to high jitter. 

Is this an issue with a local overload on the network? We have had a new router sent out with little improvement which leads me to believe that it is an infrastructure issue.

Will this bandwidth issue ever be resolved by virgin?

Thanks for any insight into my issues

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin media infrastructure

Some figures would be handy ...

What is the contract speed ?

Which Hub do you have ?

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting your district. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible internal and external co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some more troubleshooting; to start with …

Disable any VPNs that you have running.

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish. Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.

So firstly, with the router directly plugged in, the speedtest shows as expected results similar to that over WIFI:

PING ms
 DOWNLOAD Mbps
 UPLOAD Mbps
The new hub received yesterday is the 'Hub 4'
The contracted speed and actual speed are very similar but this does not stop the lagging
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As the package is less than 1 gigabit, and VM have supplied a Hub 4, then that would confirm that the area is subject to over-utilisation, and would explain the latency issues.  As more customers on the same branch of the network as you have Hub 4's installed that should increase the network capacity (because of the technology the Hub 4 uses) and the over-utilisation should melt away over the next few months....both you and VM hope.

Unfortunately the Hub 4 has its own teething problems, and some customers have all manner of latency, speed, wireless and connectivity problems which VM seem to struggle to diagnose and fix.  It'll be a good product in two or three years time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help.

Is there no way of pestering virgin media to sort this issue out? We are students that will only be here for this year and the internet makes online lectures (that arent recorded) impossible to stay connected to.

Best wishes,

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Your best bet is to have a night off the booze and get yourself a PAYG Data Dongle.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is there no way of pestering virgin media to sort this issue out? 

Depends what the issue is.  If it's over-utilisation, then your best and probably only hope is that the roll out of Hub 4's fixes it, and you can't push VM to do this any faster than they are.  If your particular issue is not down to over-utilisation, that MIGHT be something that can be sorted out.  Can you post a link to a live shared BQM chart?  The link you posted earlier looks like a snapshot and we'll need 24 hours worth of data to make any accurate comments.  But also, can you go into the Hub's admin pages and find, copy and paste (as text, not screenshots) the router status data for Downstream, Upstream, and Network log?  We can look for any obvious faults unique to your line, which might help.

If all of this comes to nothing, then your next best bet might be to ask the landlord if you can get in an Openreach 35 Mbps line at your (shared) expense?  Between you that'll be a drop in the ocean of your student debt.....  Go with somebody like Zen Internet and you'd only have a 12 month commitment, whereas the large ISPs are all demanding 18 month contracts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos