Menu
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

slow start up on pc

Hi All This is a comparison between talktalk and virgin media.I have a VM hub 3 installed mid Jan hard wired to my PC. When trying to start up my PC it is slow to connect before I put in my password. Once password accepted it is slow for icons to appear on screen. Clicking on E mails I have to wait for them to appear and sometimes I have to retry to get into E mails. Once I am into the E mails they open OK but if there is an attachment and I try to open it does not appear immediately. I have tried numerus times to reboot the hub with no difference. My speed is 108 mbs with virgin, it was only  33mbs with talktalk. Talktalk did not give me these problems. ANY solutions please, I am thinking of leaving virgin

George  

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow start up on pc

The issues you have described sound like problems with your PC, not VM. If it is a Windows PC, have you tried starting it in safe mode with networking to check and compare the startup times?

georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rising Star How to I carry out the operation you recommend

Thanks for your reply

Keep safe 

George

0 Kudos
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rising Star. I found how to carry out that procedure 

Thanks

George

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Blaming the ISP for a slow computer is a bit like blaming the highways agency because your car is hard to start

0 Kudos
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi RichW1982. Thanks for your reply. I assume from your reply that it's my PC, but I never had this problem with Talktalk. I will try the suggestion of start in safe mode

Keep safe

George

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Booting up in safe mode isn't actually a fix for the problem. It is just a diagnostic tool. Safe mode starts the computer in a basic state with a minimal amount of essentials-only running on the PC. If the computer runs OK in safe mode, then the basic functions of the computer are running OK. It is just a means of troubleshooting the PC. Once you have finished troubleshooting you would put the PC back to start up in normal mode.

When you have started the computer in safe mode, does it start up normally and run at a normal kind of speed?

If so, the next stage would be to look at what you have running on the PC, when it runs normally, which might be causing it to slow down.

If you are not that familiar with how to diagnose and troubleshoot PC problems, you would probably do best to find a local computer tech or computer shop to help you out.

0 Kudos
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Goslow Thanks for your reply. I will contact a computer tech

Take care

George

0 Kudos