Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

same number for new Quickstart set up at same address

so I have been with VM for years and years. due to being a carer for my son I have cancelled my contract and set up another contract in my husbands name, which is due to be installed on Monday.

today I realised that my landline has been cut off. when setting up my new contract (through currys/pc world) I rang days later to tell them to keep my existing number. they said that they can do this only when the existing landline has been cut off - which weirdly happened today when I thought it was going to happen on monday!

I am now worried that by the time I get to ring VM (as ALL customer service centres are closed arghhh!) I won't be able to keep my existing number. 

can someone help me please? any advice?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: same number for new Quickstart set up at same address

Ask Curry's - PC World to sort it out.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Would it not be rather suspicious for a ‘new’ customer to request the landline number of the previous customer at the same address?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

it would. And you can't port a number to the same provider.
I would expect policy is not to transfer the number to a account under another name. for that reason

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I didn't realise it comes across as suspicious. it's only because we were buying a new kettle and they gave a good package so we thought we might as well seeing as we were considering to cancel my contract with them as I am now a full time carer for my son and unemployed! thank you for this response though I didn't realise it comes across negatively?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I wish I had known this before we agreed to open another contract. thanks for replying..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wouldn't it have been far easier to just request a change of contract name ? That can be done over the phone in minutes. 

The only reason to do that is an attempt to get access to new customer discounts. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately this is not the first time that a Currys/PC World sales person has caused problems with a VM contract. It's always best to deal direct with VM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

Wouldn't it have been far easier to just request a change of contract name ? That can be done over the phone in minutes. 

The only reason to do that is an attempt to get access to new customer discounts. 

And maybe a new shiny free thing from Currys PC World.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

the worst bit is as I was cancelling my contract VM offered a cheaper deal for the new one. But then I realised I couldn't cancel the currys/pc world one. Discount wise it hasn't even worked out cheaper.. pretty much the same now as in my new contract its just broadband and phone whereas my current is tv/phone/internet. feeling very stupid and wish hubby didn't open an account as spur of the moment thing..
0 Kudos